Through room without Piers PHOTOS ADDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post on here so thanks in advance for any responses.

I am planning on knocking the lounge through to the dining room in our 1930s semi detached. The wall to be removed is a single 100mm brick thick and runs all the way up to the first floor ceiling / loft floor. This wall does not support the first floor joists.

Having selected the catnic lintel that I am using, I am almost ready to go, however, I do not want a pier on the external wall as I would like the wall to be all one level along the rooms entire length (we have external chimney breasts).

My planis to have the catnic lintel sitting on a 150mm pier on one side of the room and cut a hole in the side of the house to take the other end of the catnic lintel. The external wall thickness is approximately 200mm thick so it easily provides the minimum 150m bearing.

I also propose to install the lintel above ceiling level so the ceiling is one level throughout.

Do my plans sound feasible or is there any problems with the flat wall idea as described above.

Note: Padstones will be constructed with solid engineering bricks.

Thanks for your help, I look forward to reading your comments.

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Do you intend to use the cheapo brittle bricks they sell now as engineering types?

Why not cast in situ concrete padstones?

I understand what you want to do and have seen similar jobs before, however, i dont feel qualified enough to offer advice here.
But as a tip you might want to add some measurements onto your post for the benefit of others who can advise you.
Also, re pad stones, you might be better off with steel reinforced concrete lintals cut to required size and walled in rather than engineers.

As suggested, the dimensions of the proposed opening is 3300mm, therefore, the selected lintel will be a Catnic 3600mm CN6XC for solid internal walls.

Thanks for the sugestion of using an alternative padstone solution by the way.

Andrew

Sponsored Links
My planis to have the catnic lintel sitting on a 150mm pier on one side of the room and cut a hole in the side of the house to take the other end of the catnic lintel. The external wall thickness is approximately 200mm thick so it easily provides the minimum 150m bearing.

Andrew

8" solid or cavity wall ??

Have you just pinned the tail on the Catnic brochure and come up with the CN6XC?

Have you done any shear and local buckling calcs for the bearings, and specifically use of a Catnic perpendicular to a wall?

It may work ... it may not

Also, are there any loads from roof/ceiling timbers?

Load calculations have been done by myself and a friend. We both studied Civil Engineering at Uni so we dusted off our file notes to calculate the loading that will be imposed on the lintel. That is how we selected the lintel from the Catnic product selector.

OK, but its not just the UDL.

Normally a Catnic goes along the wall and not perpendicular to it - so a check at the bearing may also be required

Are you getting building control involved?

Also i think most of your answers can get solved by Catnic, give their tech line a call and explain.. also get something in writting spec'ing the lintel for building regs.

Hi, I thought the photos below may help supplement my description. As you can see from the photos the area of plaster I have removed upstairs is where I propose to install the lintel. The area of wall shaded in green is the section I would like to remove.

b4ac497a.jpg

7e98b813.jpg

36bb900a.jpg

3caedd37.jpg

1cc1bc18.jpg

610ed726.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back