Fireplace- Opening too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our fireplace was previously faced with large white stone which was removed as part of a renovation project. When these stones were removed we found that the original hole was large and removing the stones revealed just how large. Now we can see the damper handle.

We want to surround the fireplace with granite, about 12" wide both sides and the top. My question is, what do we do to the top of the fireplace hole so that the granite has something to rest against? We want the opening smaller again, so that the damper handle will be hidden.

Thanks!

PS: I placed pictures in my album. Not sure how to get them to be seen here.

Sponsored Links
put a concrete lintel at the height you require then brick up on top this to fill the gap

Sponsored Links
Big-all, I would need custom doors since it is a weird size. For an opening that size would mean the kids get no Christmas. :eek:

We are thinking about cutting the previous iron lintel to fit the opening and reinstalling it at the right height and then laying durarock (concrete backer board) that will span the whole area that the granite will cover. This project is already way more complicated than we had hoped for. If we can avoid installing a concrete lintel that would really help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back