Fireplace overhaul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to make use of my fireplace. Having had the chimney swept by a company in the past I found out the chimney was capped - not sure why. I've had a company visit to quote on a new 5kw wood burner. Included in the quote is to rip out the existing opening and make good. I was told it's unlikely there is any asbestos in it.
I've yet to receive an itemised quote but I've been told to expect it to be 4-5k. This includes the scaffolding to get on top of the roof to sort out the capping and some rendering of the stack.

Question is : is this a reasonable price given the work involved ? I've been told planning permission is not required and the stove being supplied would be sufficient for future standards anyway.
Also, while having the chimney swept in the past I was told the smoke evaluation test passed with 100% uptake over a 40 second smoke draught test.

Would it be a better and cheaper option just to use it as an open fire as it currently is despite the fact it is much less efficient than a wood burner ?

Advice welcome ... Photo to come

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_115237956.jpg
    IMG_20211217_115237956.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Hi Cross,
I suppose it depends on the use case. I'm my case it would be an occasional use for the lounge and not to replace the gas central heating. I'm also thinking that the area I am in is quite rubbish and whether I would get back the investment on the sale of the property.

All you need is a bag of coal to turn it on and a chimney sheep when its off.

A stove is completely unnecessary imho.

Sponsored Links
Sounds dear to me, especially as it sounds like they’re not using a liner (which personally i’d insist on in any old property)and only intend to ‘make good’ which doesn’t sound particularly adventurous.
rendering the stack???
btw , it’s as likely there is asbestos in there as there isn’t ,even if it’s a small amount. . Quite a few of the old fireplaces i’ve taken out have some form of asbestos dumped in them .
You’ll need a hetas installer if you don’t want to get planning/building regs involved.
Nice addition to a house especially if you fit a multifuel.
Get a 2nd opinion on the rendering as it could be just a ploy to get a scaffold up .
Any roofer worth his salt could probably get up there on roof ladders and sort the cap out at a fraction of the cost.

How high is it? Last house the chimney guy swapped the cap from gas to one suitable for open fire. Used a ladder, think its was a couple of hundred. Less than 3. Bearing in mind that included a reclaimed terracotta cap (as wifey liked it)
5k? Ouch. Doesn't a wood burner require a liner? You'll need a heatas cert or building regs cert when you come to sell.
I'd shop around

How high is it? Last house the chimney guy swapped the cap from gas to one suitable for open fire. Used a ladder, think its was a couple of hundred. Less than 3. Bearing in mind that included a reclaimed terracotta cap (as wifey liked it)
5k? Ouch. Doesn't a wood burner require a liner? You'll need a heatas cert or building regs cert when you come to sell.
I'd shop around

It's a fair old height from the bottom to the top of the house! Higher than your average two storey.
Thanks for the tips.
So far so good, I haven't had a chance to test the fireplace yet with a proper fire but if there are any issues that do need rectifying on the roof I'll post back here for tips.

Also, if any of you guys have any suggestions for colour schemes for the fireplace opening I would appreciate it? I was thinking a grey colour for the base and a white colour for the wall section.

Thanks all.

I'd get a couple more quotes once you've a bit more idea what you think needs doing. Depending how much needs doing on the roof, a Cherry Picker could be a cheaper option than scaffolding.

I'd also seriously think about the long term, rules are changing on what can legally be burned, bagged house coal is about to be banned from sale, loose coal in 2023, so you'll need to think about fuel sources/supplies. Open Fires are also terribly inefficient, on average only about 15% of the heat goes into the room.

I bit the bullet in 2020, had my open fire replaced with a 5kW Multifuel Stove, (juno 5 (casttec.co.uk)), and I haven't looked back. It soon warms up, heats the house beautifully, (to the point the CH shuts off), and also makes a nice feature in the living room. Chimney had to be lined, but the Installer managed to do that working from a ladder. Wouldn't want to go back to an open fire again now.

In comparison with your quote, for my Installer to open the fireplace, install a new lintel, line chimney, and fit cowl, line Builders Opening and fit Granite Hearth and Fireplace, then supply and fit stove, the bill was just about £3250.

Thanks a lot Hugh,
It is definitely not an ideal situation but as I don't intend to stay in the property for much longer the goal is to add value without shelling out.
The uncertainty of the future is worrying me and the real possibility I might not get the money back on the sale.

For the next place a closed unit would definitely be something to consider - for sure.
Appreciate your views and will keep that recommendation in mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back