Fireplace socket??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please see pics, I’m in 2 minds best way of going about this, so I have removed a single socket and an old light from chimney. I will plasterboard this area out. Plan was to put in a MF junction box with wagos and run 2.5 down to the bottom centre behind the electric log burner. All clipped in nice. Was going to use double socket maybe or single(will power tv also and Firestick) I know all the issues about burying connections behind plasterboard. But what about location of sockets behind the fire?? I was going to convert the lighting cable into a round pin socket and run cable up the corner to 12v strip light then brick slips. Am I allowed socket behind electric fire ? Or should I keep socket where it is but don’t want cables on show. Would I be better putting a switch at point of socket now and feeding wire to socket from there to bottom middle please advise

Attachments

• 9AF19C93-AC1D-4F66-9E4E-AAA600A66375.jpeg
    9AF19C93-AC1D-4F66-9E4E-AAA600A66375.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 4479B18C-48C8-459F-9F91-170A6EEF201A.jpeg
    4479B18C-48C8-459F-9F91-170A6EEF201A.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 176
Sponsored Links
Where is that feed from is that on a ring final? Hard to offer advice as you effectively want to connect something to it that might cause an overload, what rating is the "electric log burner" ? Where is the TV going? All looks a bit odd and I can see why some haven't offered any advice yet.

Erm well there is only one set of wires going into the socket so does this mean it’s a spur ? 2kw tv. Above the opening

Sponsored Links
So plan is can the current 2.5cable for socket be wired into a 13a fcu with switch then run that to a socket behind the fire. The fire wont be fixed and will plug into the socket with tv and fire place

Right to clear this up this is what I’m looking at doing please see diagram I have made...
So I plan on plasterboarding the fireplace out. I will fit a 13a fcu at incoming 2.5 twin and earth location (orange x). Then run 2.5 twin and earth down and into the centre behind fire into a double socket marked red x. Then I will join the light cable (blue) to a led light driver and run 12v cable up the rear corner of plasterboard to a led strip in roof, then brick slip the lot. The led driver will fit behind a blanking plate

Attachments

• 288DD14C-074D-4F1F-B7AB-663C1317FA61.png
    288DD14C-074D-4F1F-B7AB-663C1317FA61.png
    320.4 KB · Views: 94
Thanks mate.
Just seen triple
Sockets with 13a fuse so may even use one of them now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back