Fireplace tilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fireplace which has had the fireback removed to leave just the bare block wall. I want to but a fire grate or dog basket into it and would like to know if it is possible just to tile the bare block and floor and if so what sort of tile would be best suited to this job. Also are there any disadvantages with just tilling a fireplace. Thanks for any help with this matter.

Sponsored Links
You’d do better to post the correct forum for serious advice & “Genera Discussionl” isn’t it; tiling or Building but anyway. First question is do you intend using the fire for anything other than decorative purposes?

I have a fireplace which has had the fireback removed to leave just the bare block wall. I want to but a fire grate or dog basket into it and would like to know if it is possible just to tile the bare block and floor and if so what sort of tile would be best suited to this job. Also are there any disadvantages with just tilling a fireplace. Thanks for any help with this matter.

Yep tile away. No probs whatsoever.

Sponsored Links
[ sorry only joined today. its for everyday use hopefully
But what does that mean, do you intend using the fire? You say “block wall” can you elaborate a little more, are they lightweight blocks (unusual!) or is it brick? What sort of floor, concrete I assume? What sort/size tiles do you intend using?

I wouldn’t advise you follow LMB’s rather simplistic advice just yet. :!:

I wont be following your rude arrogant advice either. I joined this site to get help for a DIY matter. Most people who do DIY don't profess to being experts or knowing all the technical terms and phrases. Though in your case you try and come across as someone who has a wealth of experience and only will share this with others once you have tried to belittle and patronise them. So i would appreciate it if in future when i post a message asking for help on a matter you opt not to share your opinions with me. Oh and anyone knows that when you say block your talking about a breeze not a brick!!!

My, my we are touchy aren’t we; perhaps General was the right forum for your post after all. :rolleyes:

I was merely trying to establish what you actually have & how you intend to use it in order to give you sound advice! But I can see you’re a total t wat with no need of advice from someone in the trade who actually knows what they are doing so I won’t bother wasting my time. Good luck with it, just tile away as LMG suggests but don't come back on here asking why your tiles have fallen off! ;)

i think everyone knows you didnt mean a brick, what richard was trying to establish was if they were concrete or thermalite....he even tried to couch it in a diy manner. Enjoy yourself tiling that fireplace......i think you've burned your bridges here :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back