Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just had a gas fire taken out and want to use the fireplace as an open fire. We are also having all the artex in the room skimmed and were wondering how we can go about finishing off the fireplace.

As you can see from the pic, we have a timber mantel piece and original tiles as a hearth. We'd like to stick with the original tiles - also modern hearths don't seem to be deep enough to cover the tiles.

Basically, we'd like to have a plastered finish but realise that it would probably crack from the heat. Is there a way of doing this?? some sort of fire-proof finish??

Any help, much appreciated.

Graham

Sponsored Links
a fire log is the insert that has been built into the fire hole that you see when you look at the opening in your chimney breast

as long as the flue has been checked out and is in good order the fire log will do the job of containing the heat of an open fire.

Sponsored Links
hi re-read your first post, you don't mean the fire itself do you

you mean the surface finish to the artex covered tiled surround don't you, oops :oops:

Yeah, the artex is going to be skimmed, but I'm guessing if we plastered up to the edge, it will crack from the heat.

Also, we've had a smoke test that passed - just need the chimney swept.

I can only surgest looking for a fire surround to sute the job

there are plenty out there to sute your taste and will give you something to plaster to as well perhaps, sorry if this answer doesn't inspire you

I did my fireplace out a bit back and grabbed a bargain surround and mantle for £50 of an add in the paper, best of british.

the artex is going to be skimmed, but I'm guessing if we plastered up to the edge, it will crack from the heat.
Correct; Gypsum base & finish plasters will not stand heat much above 50 degrees or so without cracking & blowing; Artex probably wont either (but not sure) so it will probably have to come off. The wall in the area 200mm to the sides & as much as 500mm above the fire will exceed that & it’s why open fires, log burners & solid fuel burners generally some sort of stone/slate/tile surround.

Use a heat proof render base (or a sand/cement/lime render base) around the fire to tile/fix a surround on to but if you want a plastered finish up to the fire, use a heat proof finish plaster over that;
http://shop.vitcas.com/vitcas-heat-resistant-plaster-16-p.asp

Looks like you may have a suitable fire back already in there, was it originally designed as an open, solid fuel fire? If so, the constructional hearth (the bit below those tiles) should also comply with current Building Regs. but it should be checked. Have you checked the flue is suitable? If you have a gas flue liner it won’t be.

There's no flue liner. Built in 1935 so I assume was originally used as open fire

Things have moved on considerably since then & if it's as old as that you need to get it checked for compliance with current Building Regs. You also need to be aware that even though your converting back to what was originally there, what your doing is notifyable work & must be certified complaint, either by a HETAS registered installer or by submitting a Building Notice to your LABC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back