Firewire driver needed!

S

sparkyspike

Hello. I've no idea if anyone can help, but...

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running on Vista. It has a firewire port. I have installed M-Audio from CD, and I have an M-Audio 410 which plugs into the laptop with a firewire lead.

But I can't find the firewire driver on the laptop and I can't find it on the internet. Any ideas where I can get it? When I bought the laptop, the geek at PC World assured me that the firewire was ready to go, which really ****es me off because it clearly isn't.

Any clues will be appreciated! :D

Sponsored Links
Have you either plugged or unplugged the device whilst the laptop is powered up? If so you may have damaged the firewire port as its not hot pluggable.

No, but thanks for the advice. The cable was plugged in when I restarted in order to run M-Audio. The problem is, I can't find any sign of a driver in the laptop, despite doing searches, so I wonder whether these laptops come with a port, but with no driver? Can't see why they should. I'm anxious not to have to take the laptop to PC World as they will want to keep hold of it for ages!

???

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link. There wasn't an option for Firewire, unless it's called something else. :(

i.link (Sony name) or IEEE1394?

Which model of laptop do you have?

Are you sure it's not just teh drivers for M-Audio 410 that you need, rather than Firewire? Have you checked Device Manager to see it ot mentions any problems with the Firewire interface?

When I go to Device Manager, there is no Firewire Interface Device listed - just USB.

I've already installed the drivers for M-Audio 410. And I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. Incidentally, I've tried the M-Audio on my other PC. It works fine - the M-Audio box powers up through the Firewire cable. On the laptop, it won't even power up, so I'm assuming the port is inactive for some reason.

The Model is: Toshiba Satellite P100, model 434 PSP ADE.

By the way, still can't locate the driver on the Toshiba website. I've tried looking for i.LINK and IEEE1394.

Aha! Thisgives a bit more information.

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=85173

You need the right chipset dirver and it will all be magical (it seems).

But the chipset driver doesn't seem to be on the Tosh download page! However the spec lists it as Intel 945PM, which can be got from here.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-022034.htm

However, as it's not a Toshiba approved thingy I'd create a restore point before trying it.

One last thing to check: can teh firewire be turned off in the BIOS? (Esc on power on for Tosh BIOS IIRC or use the Hardware Utitlity under Windows)

dont know if you got this sorted, but a bit of info.

are you using an external power supply, the M-audio box you are using is only self powered through a standard 6 pin firewire port, not the 4 pin ports 99% of laptops use.

try an upto date driver from M-audio, the CD one was pretty much rewritten the day it was launched.

whats the power LED doing.
"This power switch has an associated blue LED indicator which also provides status information. Fast flashing indicates that the Firewire firmware isn't loaded, which can happen during the bootup process, slow flashing shows that the 410 has been detected but that it isn't yet switched on, while once you press the power button the 410 gets initialised and you should get a steady blue glow."

My guess is you need to get the external psu

Sponsored Links
Back