First diyer help with screws to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Literally first time ever diy-er so apologies for some stupid questions.

Ive bought a combi drill to put up some shelves and blinds.

Im not entirely sure what screws to get for each fitting.

First i am putting up some blinds on a bracket above a window. It already has a batten fitted (20mm deep) - do i just get a 20mm screw or slightly smaller? Also im assuming for wood you just screw straight in? Not sure if the blind needs it to be countersinked or not screws but i can work that out when i open it

Also im planning on putting a tv mount up and ive found the stud im putting it on. What generally size screws are best for normal studs, its new build so assume its whatever standard stud size is i was going to go with 50mm screws.

Is there any particular good/ bad points to look for in screws in general?

Also any recommended good priced ones welcome thank you and apologies for silly questions

Sponsored Links
For the batten, the screw length must be the same or less than the batten, so 20mm for those.

For most everything else, 1 1/2 x 8 twinthread screws will do. They are approximately 40mm long and 4mm diameter.
They can go direct into timber, provided the timber is thick enough.

They can also be used into masonry, which first requires a 5.5mm hole

and red wall plug

and if anything is supplied with it's own screws, throw them away immediately because they are always totally useless.

Whats the difference between double countersunk and just countersunk screws, is there any benefit to either? Was looking at screwfix and its like £4 for 200 packs so not sure how to tell if its good quality or not

For example :

edit: also thank you for all your help!

Countersunk have a head which can go flush with the surface.
counter.png

Double countersunk are the same, but with additional ribs on the underside so they partly cut into the timber as they are screwed in.
double.png

The other common type is pan head, which is designed to fix flat sheet materials with no countersink
pan.png

Sponsored Links
Buy a "Trade pack" from SF or TS - you'll get a big selection to play about with, and I find they're never quite as long as you think they'll be (maybe that's just me). Unless you're a tradesman where time is money etc then the cheapest basic screws will do. You will learn which gauge (thickness) of screws works best with your choice of wall plugs/type of brick or block in your house.

Hi, what about this for £20, large selection of 10 different sizes, should cover your present and all future requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back