First ever Tumble Dryer - what to go for

Sponsored Links
Never noticed any humidity from our condensor. Cheap Indesit (catchy fire model)
Added benefit of warming the room it is in rather than pumping expensive, hot air outside.
Just used the tank. No great hassle emptying it and cleaning the fluff filter after each run. And 3 monthly clean of the condensor unit.

Replaced with a Beko heat pump last year.
Works well but does not heat the room as the waste heat gets recycled.
Colleague who deep dives into costs suggests heat pumps pays for themselves in a few years with power saving over other types.

My condenser is already a heat pump. The machine produces heat for room, then gets warm air from room.

Our Heat pump dryer is much kinder on clothes than our old condenser. I’d never go back just on this basis tbh.

Ours saves us £20-30 a month. Kept in unheated utility room attached to back of garage. Definitely doesn’t need plumbing in. Hardly much bother pulling out a container and emptying it.

Sponsored Links
Yep. My fault. I didn’t know that a heat pump dryer wouldn’t work in temperatures lower than about 5°. We only use our tumble dryer for jeans and towels in the winter.
No. Not your fault.
Should be clearly indicated in the sales sticker or advised by the sales *insert identity here,*

We've a small kitchen area so most likely it will need to go in either the (not really used much) conservatory or the spare bedroom (but concerned about moisture there).

Try the dehumifier, along with some sort of fan, running overnight, with the washing hung up in there - no need for any heat. I think you may find that as effective, a much more energy efficient, and economical solution.

I don't understand a lot of the comments in here.

Used to have vented, expensive to run and all the heat (and moisture) went outside.

Condenser, much more efficient, utility room gets warm from it when its in use, costs a lot less to run than vented.

Heat pump type, will consider when it needs replacing.

if you are not going to use it a lot I'd suggest condenser type

I have a vented type in my bedroom. I put the hose under my blankets to warm my bed up...

Very happy with my White Knight gasser. Given that my wife runs it at least 8 hours a day (her hobby is washing and drying clothes) I must have saved at least a £million!

IMG_20231201_210907303.jpg

We've a couple of dehumidifiers (about 10 yrs old now, bought when we used to live in a damp flat), so the big 500W one (or 1.5KW if you use the heater function) is used to dry small stuff and once a month I go to the laundrette (bedding, towels, jeans etc) usually an Ikea blue bag full. Problem is it seems to be a source of colds/flu etc and the mrs now has a compromised immune system so anything I pick up there affect her far worse than me.

The big question is how often it will get used, which is hard to say, though maybe it will be more if do small loads. Emptying a tank isn't an issue as I do that now with the dehumidifier. A vented one would probably mean the hassle of sticking a hose out of the window, so maybe a condenser or heat pump is better. Though the concern is how these cope with the cold. If we put it in the conservatory, is it a case of not using it when the temp is freezing or is keeping it in there when freezing but not in use a problem?

If we put it in the conservatory, is it a case of not using it when the temp is freezing or is keeping it in there when freezing but not in use a problem?

I would avoid doing minimum loads, store up dirty washing until it is a worthwhile load, then tackle it.

Freezing will not bother a dehumidifier, if it is empty, but it will not work well if it really is close to freezing. A dehumidifier, plus a fan, is basically just a larger version of a condensing drier.

A vented one would probably mean the hassle of sticking a hose out of the window,

Or drill a hole once and no hassle ever again.

If you have to hire a tool, do the bathroom and WC vents, and thd bathroom fan, the same day.

The condensing type does have some residual water in it. Freezing is a problem for it. Are you sure your conservatory would reach freezing temperatures? Generally, sheltered arears should be many degrees higher than the outside. Do some tests, measure the temperature.

Minus 3.5C at the moment, set to become even colder - stick a saucer of cold water in there, and see if it is frozen in the morning. Assuming the conservatory gets the sun during the day, it will get warm in there, during the day - run the dehumidifier drying system then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back