Repairing a basic (Zanussi TD100) Tumble Dryer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Zanussi TD100 Tumble Dryer which today stopped working in mid-run.

I have checked that there is power to the socket, and the 13A fuse has not blown. What I would like is a (constructive) steer towards the next step(s).

I have searched on this site & others, and have not found any advice or service manuals for this model; (I'm not surprised about the manuals, as we bought the dryer in 1986.) Some years back I replaced the drum bearings, and I see that some spare parts are still available.

The TD100 is a simple model with one control - a rotary knob to set the time, which unwinds to zero (and cuts the heat 10 minutes before the end.) It suits us, given the limited use we make of it, and we don't want to scrap it if we don't have to.

Sponsored Links
It sure has done its job well...!
A "constructive" way to go would be to check the obvious before performing any major surgery. Does the drum turn easily by hand? Is the drive-belt intact? Any broken wiring/bad contacts? Do you hear a buzzing sound from the motor when you fire it up? If the pilot lamp is lit then the door switch is obviously ok, if it is doesn't light then the door switch would be a likely candidate. After ruling out the door switch I would suspect a motor or timer issue. If the motor buzzes but doesn't turn is could simply be a faulty capacitor. If the motor/capacitor are ok then it is likely a timer (or timer motor) issue.
Unless you plan scouring museums it may be difficult (if not impossible) to source spares for the old dog :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions zipper (what was obvious to you was less so to me - and to others with basic TDs.)

To answer your points in turn
Yes, the drum turns easily by hand;
There is no sound at all from the motor, and the pilot light is NOT lit - so I'll have a look at the door switch in the morning.

I haven't taken the lid off yet, but you have given me some good pointers to be going on with (and who knows, a replacement switch might be available?)

It may even be as simple as the switch is not being actuated, also check for a broken lever.

Sponsored Links
If the pilot lamp is not lit then there is a problem with the door switch. It could be electrical, or mechanical as jj mentioned.

I'm pleased to say that the dryer is up and running again (for the while at least.)

Encouraged by the helpful replies suggesting that it was worth having a go, I opened up the lid and found the problem - a burnt-out Neutral wire and connector block at the connection between the supply cable and the internal wiring.

I presume that over time and vibration, some of the cable strands had broken, and the rest had overheated until the electrical connection broke.

I have cut away the melted cable ends (and a bit more) and joined them with crimped spade connectors - and it appears to be going OK. I appreciate that it is unlikely to keep going for another 25 years - but then nor am I.

Thanks again for the constructive replies - I hope that this thread may help others who want to repair rather than replace. (One of my sons had said that the problem with electronics is that a repair is uneconomic, which is true; an advantage of this oldie is that it is basically electrical, without electronics.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back