First fix - which toilet pans to avoid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to start buying the various items for first fix plumbing for about 6 bathrooms. I want to make sure I buy quality components and my biggest gripe in the past, has been selecting toilet pans which due to the style or narrowness of the waste, solids often require several flushes or the use of the damn brush.

Having looked at the toilets at work, they seem to have even narrow exists, but have steeper drops where the water level sits, and very little waster from the flush is needed to get rid of it, which completely killed off my idea that larger tanks with more water are required compared to these stupid levels dictated by govt.

My question therefore, is what determines a good "flush away" in a toilet, and what are the awkward shapes / sizes / styles to avoid?

We plan to go for wall hung toilets with the flush buttons.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Air being allowed into the head of the foul line is a must. If you hold a bottle of water upside down and empty it is gurgles and with a very slow flow. Make a hole in the bottle to allow air to be drawing in and what happens..

Good scientific answer and makes sense. Don't all heads of the foul line allow air in?

What about crap pan design?

Get one from Argos, you can take it back if you don't like it.

I suspect it's more to do with the cistern, so go for a 9 litre type, without a poxy dual flush.

Sponsored Links
I can't faff around with returning stuff. Some bright engineer must have been able to come up with a half decent design without the need of US style power assisted flushes!

Look inside the pan where the water level is. It should be round. We have two pans (bought from B&Q) where the rear corners have a tight radius, so the bog brush won't clean them, so we need a bog brush and a long handled pan brush to clean them.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back