First floor concrete hearth repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

First floor bedroom previously had a fireplace (removed a long time ago) and the concrete hearth was broadly level with the floor and was previously carpeted over.

I’ve noticed that a part of it was cracked and not lying totally flush with the surrounding floor so I’ve removed the damaged part (carefully as I don’t know what it contains). Have attached photo.

What would people advise as the best way to repair this damaged section? Once complete I would be fitting carpet and underlay. I don’t fancy using a standard concrete as I don’t know how secure the frame is in the event something were to drip through.

Someone on another forum used repair mesh and premixed fire cement. Is this thicker and less likely to drip through the frame in the event there is an imperfection with the frame? Any other suggestions? Underneath the removed section the concrete isn’t totally flat so I don’t think it would be easy to lay wood without removing even more concrete.

Attachments

• 65FF2985-DB66-40E6-9913-EA13752A59C4.jpeg
    65FF2985-DB66-40E6-9913-EA13752A59C4.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 447
Sponsored Links
Just mortar mix thick enough to not drip thru any gaps.Or dig it all out and put in timber .

As above, these hearths were traditionally cast into the wall with timber bearers underneath - a sort of a cantilever effect.
A stiff mortar mix to replace the existing failed screed will be fine.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back