First go at dot/dabbing plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

Starting to make shower area in ensuit, have knocked down stud wall to make ensuit bigger, bared walls back to brickwork (fairly uneven - 1900's house) So decided to Dot and dab with Moisure resistant plasterboard then tank the shower area in preperation for tiling over.

old brickwork, I assume I should prime with pva/water mix first? (really stupid question but should I use waterproof PVA primer? lol

What would you reccoment I use for the dot and dab adheisive material?

Tiles will be fairly light weight ceramics, but I will then use a few hammer/screw through fixings on each board while the adhesive is still wet to ensure the pannels are secure for tiling.

No room in the ensuit to batten then plasterboard over or I simply couldnt fit shower in

The above seem ok? any input welcomed

Sponsored Links
I tend to use foam adhesive nowadays. Much easier, and "Insta Stik", will grip a board in one minute and hold it firm within five minutes, and it's ready to plaster in about an hour.

You don't need to PVA the wall.

Consider a magnesium oxide board instead as this will be tanking too.

Brilliant ta, I was wandering if they did something like that that will expand just enough to stick to a rough wall.

Perfect ta

There is one other I know of - Siroflex SX.

These have no expansion once the initial squirt out of the can, using one of those water mist sprayers helps initial grip and faster curing.

Sponsored Links
We use board adhesive mainly because it is more versatile than the foam, particularly when it comes to filling out, pointing and providing a more solid backing for radiators etc.

Last edited:
Is that a totally internal wall? If not, shouldn't the bricks be parge coated first for air tightness?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back