First layer for an uneven wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a house that requires renovation and I have spent a considerable amount of time reading material and looking at videos for smoothing and painting uneven walls.
The walls are drywalls build on 1991, and they are already painted, but they require fixing holes and smoothing.
Given I want a quality finish and I don't mind buying quality material and spending time on this.

Would "mud" be my first layer? Do I use mud to fill dents and smooth the wall or do I use separate products? Is mudding the same as plastering (and is the Americans call it mudding while the British call it plastering)? What category of products should I use for my first layer, looking for mud online doesn't return much useful information, what term should I use? Do I need to cover all areas of the wall even if they are not dented?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you want to try your hand at skimming the wall you'll need thistle multi finish.

I will warn you though it's not as easy as the pros make it look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back