first lintel installation

G

george765

I've got a bit nervous half way through the job at home. followed all the advice from you guys but would still like your opinion.
I've cut out the inner leaf (very loose bricks) for the lintel, but have bottled it a bit on cutting out the slot in the outside leaf as this will leave just the needles supporting.
Hopefully I have managed to attach some pics for your opinions as to wether I should carry on ?
I have to slot both lintels in from the outside as they are a bit too wide to have put one in from the inside.
You can see the lintels are ready for install, resting on the extension wall.

Sponsored Links
thanks noseall. It is the loose bricks that worried me, a few dropped like they had no mortar at all. Oh well, will bite the bullet tommorow (if the frigin rain stops)
Woody.......you ain't making me feel better :( lol

Sponsored Links
:LOL:

Personally, I would have the props closer to the wall - about 500mm away max, but see what anyone else thinks

Also just knock out enough to get the beams in and then put the beams in before removing the rest of the wall below.

And cutting the opening with a disc saw, rather than banging with a hammer and chisel will minimise the amount of vibration

Mortar on the top of the beams and then lift them up as much as possible, rather than just putting the beam on the padstone and then packing above.

Job went smooth as silk, dunno what I was worried about :confused:
thanks to all that gave advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back