First non white footballer to play for England

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, it wasn't Viv Anderson it was.......

my uncle Frank

http://tinyurl.com/k8jv45h

Though he never got the recognition he deserved because they were "wartime internationals". And of course because he was the wrong "shade" of white for the times.

Sponsored Links
"His given name was Hong Ying Soo, but his fans and team-mates called him Frank".

Love it.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

He was never called anything else as far as I know, my fathers name was Jack but given that Frank also had a chinese name his brothers must have had them too, yet I couldn't tell you what my fathers was because I haven't got a clue. Though I was told once by my mother that my dad was inducted somehow into the triad as a kid, must have been a chinese thing back then..

Is this the triad?

Along with Authur Tutin and Arthur Turner, he had become part of a Stoke midfield trinity still talked about today.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
The most famous teammate of his was Stan Mathews, when he died a letter came from the then chairman of Stoke City supporters club remembering him, there was a handwritten note attached from Mathews.
Bill Shankly knew him well I believe, I always regret meeting Shanks once and having a natter but not asking him for his memories of my uncle Frank.

Yeah that's what the kids in school used to call me.
It used to annoy me at the time and led to many a scrap, :LOL: but when I registered on here I was trying to think of a username and that popped into my head from years ago.

In that case, I should be called emu, not securespark.

my dad was inducted somehow into the triad as a kid, must have been a chinese thing back then..

Still a big Triad in Liverpool these days, running all the bootleg dvds, Morcambe cocklepickers and "protecting" all the restaurants, remember that karaoke swordfight thing in Chinatown a few years ago?

I used to eat and drink in that big restaurant by the arches in Chinatown on Fridays as before 24 hour drinking you could still get a few Tsingtao beers and a banquet after 2am there. There were a few sectioned off tables for these Chinese "grey cardinal" types and cool, rough looking Jet Li style chaps. The place had a bit of atmosphere about it.

Thanks, as an update I asked my mother what my fathers chinese name was. She said he did have one, but could never remember it.
At least that's what he must have told her, he wasn't the type to bring us kids up in the traditional ways of his ancestors. Which was just as well for us as my mother said he had a terrible time off his father as a kid.
The chinese are strict with their children, we never even learned how to use chopsticks or speak the lingo, which is a bit sad.

Sponsored Links
Back