First Time Angle Grinder User

The blade used in his video is indeed illegal in the UK/EU but the Bosch blade in question is legal, that said, the OP linked to it after you posted your factually correct post.

My lay understanding is that the banned blades were marketed as blades that would effectively turn an angle grinder in to a saw. The EU decided that angle grinders are not saws- they don't have base plates or riving knives (or the other safety features) and that they cannot be considered safe to use as saws.

As per @JobAndKnock 's post, I don't doubt that the blades work as described by Bosch but I an not sure if they would recommend using them on green/wet wood.
I bought one recently so though banned still available .

Sponsored Links
As per @JobAndKnock 's post, I don't doubt that the blades work as described by Bosch but I an not sure if they would recommend using them on green/wet wood.
I can only talk about using them on dry materials. In general, on flat materials, they can be used single handed on a cordless angle grinder. Never tried them on green wood, but given thst they are in effect very coarse sanding discs, with the same sort if slotting you see on many masonry grinding and cutting discs, e.g:

16663707871805069187957255617448.jpg

I have to ask, what's the difference?

For me, the problem with cutting branches with a grinder would be the "snatch" - it would be like trying to cut a piece of rope - it'd be straight in between blade and guard and the grinder would be flung in your face.

I'm sure many of us have cut a bit of roofing batten or similar with the grinder in a pinch but it's not the same thing.

There is no suitable disc for cutting wood
There are cutting and carving discs. I have one by Arbor-Tech which I bought to carve a sculpture from a massive stump, but have used more to grind stumps and roots.

I still have a scar on my hand from first use, but you live and learn. I would not recommend it for a newb though, as the thing can , snag and move the grinder like a gyro. :confused:

Sponsored Links
It's nearly 5th november, put the wooden gate and branches on gumtree, free for collection

I can only talk about using them on dry materials. In general, on flat materials, they can be used single handed on a cordless angle grinder. Never tried them on green wood, but given thst they are in effect very coarse sanding discs, with the same sort if slotting you see on many masonry grinding and cutting discs, e.g:

View attachment 283332

I have to ask, what's the difference?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

I suspect that you are asking why cutting green wood would be any different to cutting dry wood? On reflection, my experience is very limited- I am horticulturally challenged. I do however have experience of trying to prune trees with saws that are fine with dry wood but kept snagging/catching with the green wood. I am kinda working on the assumption that the moisture/sap will reduce the abrasive qualities of the Bosch disc. If so, that may lead the user to apply too much pressure.

I could be completely wrong though. I often am....

For me, the problem with cutting branches with a grinder would be the "snatch" - it would be like trying to cut a piece of rope - it'd be straight in between blade and guard and the grinder would be flung in your face.

I'm sure many of us have cut a bit of roofing batten or similar with the grinder in a pinch but it's not the same thing.

There have been times that I have considered cutting helifix bars to length using my (twin blade) wall chaser after cutting the chase, but in the end I have opted to use the single diamond blade on my angle grinder. I only have two eyes, one head, etc.

I suspect that you are asking why cutting green wood would be any different to cutting dry wood?
No. What I was asking is why a segmented cutting disc, such as one used to rake joints (as in the photo I posted), should be considered safe whilst the segmented abrasive cutting disc the OP asked about would be considered dangerous

I am kinda working on the assumption that the moisture/sap will reduce the abrasive qualities of the Bosch disc. If so, that may lead the user to apply too much pressure.
Pressure - tyros often think that if a tool isn't cutting well it needs more pressure and/or speed behind it. You often see this with SDS drills, which tyros (and idiots) will push even harder when less pressure will often beore productive. Same goes for sanding. And thecsame goes for those Bosch discs - pushing them just results in them clogging and not cutting as well. I doubt that they would clog in green wood - they must be something like a P12 grit

Tyro = beginner, learner, inexperienced person, a person who follows a pursuit without achieving proficiency, etc. I believe from the Latin  tiro (meaning young soldier, new recruit or novice)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the green wood is damp and gets hot from friction then it is possible that the wood could swell and thus "grip" the cutting disc.
At 10k rpm? I think I still have a couple of these discs in my lockup so maybe I'll do a test this week (I have a sycamore to eviscerate). What I do know about them from having used them, is that they will cut damp OSB without major kickbacks or jams

Last edited by a moderator:
No. What I was asking is why a segmented cutting disc, such as one used to rake joints (as in the photo I posted), should be considered safe whilst the segmented abrasive cutting disc the OP asked about would be considered dangerous

I wasn't suggesting that either is any more dangerous than the other. The dangerous (and illegal) ones are the one circular saw blades that fit angle grinders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back