First time electrics, full rewire!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So I've just had an offer accepted on a dream home but its basically a shell and needs wiring, CU etc etc I'm currently an engineer but I will be retraining to become a domestic electrician in December so I thought why not get some practice in first. when it comes to the actual wiring I will probably be getting someone in and then just observing and learning with them if they are happy for me too. all the flooring will be up and unoccupied so id like to run as many cables as i can then get it checked as it will all be visible.

So my question, I've done a real rough sketch of what I believe would work but need some opinions and any mistakes I've made such as wiring route or switch positions etc etc.

Any critique welcome.

Attachments

• GF.png
    GF.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In my opinion the door hangs are OK but you don't want the dining room light switch behind the door.
Since it's a complete rewire the lighting junction box would be best located adjacent to the CU; yes, it increases lighting cable requirement, but it makes future servicing and rework a great deal simpler and doesn't involve buried MF boxes hidden in ceilings or under floors

The doors are a concern

In my opinion the door hangs are OK but you don't want the dining room light switch behind the door.
Since it's a complete rewire the lighting junction box would be best located adjacent to the CU; yes, it increases lighting cable requirement, but it makes future servicing and rework a great deal simpler and doesn't involve buried MF boxes hidden in ceilings or under floors
I've only done a junction box so that the centre kitchen light is tied in with the spot lights? surely there is a better way other than taking the wiring all the way back just to join up together?

if that's all wiring wise them I'm impressed with myself haha

Doors are currently arranged in the Victorian style, where it was considered rude to be able to see into the room as the door opened.
Also ensures the door can be as obstructional as possible when entering the room and for the location of furniture.

As for the wiring -
junction boxes are not desirable or necessary
you need to decide if the supply will be looped at the switches or at the light fittings
do you really want that few lights in a 'dream home'?
what about all of the other circuits?

Doors are currently arranged in the Victorian style, where it was considered rude to be able to see into the room as the door opened.
Also ensures the door can be as obstructional as possible when entering the room and for the location of furniture.

As for the wiring -
junction boxes are not desirable or necessary
you need to decide if the supply will be looped at the switches or at the light fittings
do you really want that few lights in a 'dream home'?
what about all of the other circuits?

I'm not sure, I'd presume as I've got very easy access to the celling that looped at the lights would be easier or am I wrong?

The centre lights will be quite large and the Mrs likes to use lamps so that shouldn't be a problem.

The centre lights will be quite large and the Mrs likes to use lamps so that shouldn't be a problem.

Centre lights are fine for general room illumination, but worth considering task lighting too. Will you be happy with just the centre light on, for watching TV? I find wall lights better, dimmable ones. No bedroom on the diagram, but we use bedside lights, rather than the centre light.

Yes, as @flameport says:
What about all of the other circuits?

I haven't done a diagram for the rest of it yet but I will eventually do a diagram for lighting, network and power. I know where the sockets are going but presumed as they will be completely separate circuits It won't really effect one another?

Centre lights are fine for general room illumination, but worth considering task lighting too. Will you be happy with just the centre light on, for watching TV? I find wall lights better, dimmable ones. No bedroom on the diagram, but we use bedside lights, rather than the centre light.

I think so regards TV room, normally when the TV is on we have a lamp on and main lights off. I'd probably prefer wall lights over lamps but that's non negotiable she wants wall lights either side of bed though. I just didn't upload the upstairs plan

presumed as they will be completely separate circuits It won't really effect one another?
Electrically they are not connected, but the cables must all be installed at the same time.
All of the rooms will require plastering and redecoration after the cables are installed - you can't do some of them and not the rest, as they will all be in the same walls.

Cables for different circuits will share some of the same spaces, such as cables for downstairs lighting and upstairs sockets in the same floor space.

Electrically they are not connected, but the cables must all be installed at the same time.
All of the rooms will require plastering and redecoration after the cables are installed - you can't do some of them and not the rest, as they will all be in the same walls.

Cables for different circuits will share some of the same spaces, such as cables for downstairs lighting and upstairs sockets in the same floor space.

Yeah of course, I just haven't done the diagram for it yet.

Hi all,

So I've just had an offer accepted on a dream home but its basically a shell and needs wiring, CU etc etc I'm currently an engineer but I will be retraining to become a domestic electrician in December so I thought why not get some practice in first. when it comes to the actual wiring I will probably be getting someone in and then just observing and learning with them if they are happy for me too. all the flooring will be up and unoccupied so id like to run as many cables as i can then get it checked as it will all be visible.

So my question, I've done a real rough sketch of what I believe would work but need some opinions and any mistakes I've made such as wiring route or switch positions etc etc.

Any critique welcome.
It appears from your diagram that the dining and living rooms are connected to the consumer unit only via the light switch in the hall. I assume that's an oversight? In any case I'd have assumed you'd basically just replicate the existing lighting circuit unless it's totally irrational(?)

Firstly, "Good Luck" - in all your endeavours.

While others may have "picked some holes" in your plan, I think that both you and your partner may find the "Kitchen Lighting" which you have proposed to be quite inadequate.

While you may intend to install "under cupboard" lighting and a "range hood" with lighting, individually switched ceiling lighting for the preparation bench space, cooking area and "sink" would be preferable to just one general central light (plus, a "light over the sink".)

Hence, I consider that you (and your partner) may appreciate more "specific" lighting in the kitchen area.
If that is not possible, make sure that the "Central" kitchen light is a large "Panel LED", since you cannot possibly consider a single "down-light" in a kitchen.

Also, you have made no mention of socket-outlets (?)

normally when the TV is on we have a lamp on and main lights off.
With which I fully agree.
I have found that "Mother & Child" standard lamps [with a switchable "reading lamp" - when required] are a good idea.

she wants wall lights either side of bed though.
Dimmable, I presume.

(As I wrote above - Good Luck !)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back