First time maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

As a complete novice at car maintenance Im looking for some advice please: tomorrow Im goign to pick up a P reg Mondeo (1.8 LX), and I've been advised to change the oil and filter so Im starting from a near-clean slate.

I have a Haynes manual, but no tools to carry out any work. For a beginner what tools do I need to buy for general maintenance and upkeep of my vehicle?

Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
hmm, a list of usefull car tools, it could get long and expensive, start with buying what you need as you go on. for now you just need an oil tray to catch the oil (and some newspaper and a bottle of el cheapo washing up liguid for when you miss!), the filter may be tight and need a filter wrench to get it off (or put a screwdriver through the side). to get the sump plug off it should be 13mm, may be a good idea to get a socket set (some asdas sell a draper one cheap, it does the job and you can replace it if you need later (likewise the sockets 6sided ones are the best but expensive so buy them and a breaker bar if you need to later)). i would advise getting a spare sumpplug (it comes with integrated o-ring) from ford before you start, then replace if necerssary (better than realising you need one after you have drained the oil out and cant drive to the garage!)

then get over to fordmondeo.org you are most welcome here but in gerneral you will get quick house diy answers here but slow car ones fordmondeo.org are very quick and helpfull on the mondeo.

edit: the sump plug on the mondeo is made of soft cheese, if its not overtightened it should be fine but sometimes they are a pain, might be worth having a go to see which yours is before attempting the whole change then you can post back (or on meg) for advise on how to get the stuck plug off.

Sponsored Links
Back