First time tiling questions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been asked by the mother in law to help fit her new bathroom "because ive done it before". Now ive fitted a new bath, toilet, sink into my old house and also sorted a downstairs loo out before but never done it complete with tiling, shower etc. Ive read through the tiling guide and it seems very well written and should be easy enough to follow but ive still got a few questions.

Tiling will need to be done before fitting the main fixtures but does it matter if the tiles go below the height of the bath, will it still seal properly if its not tiled onto the bath? The bath will be filled with water and maybe extra weight added too so the bath wont sink and leave a massive gap when filled, learning from mistakes from others.

Can tiles be fitted to an uneven surface or does it really need to be flat/new plaster, not forgetting first time tiler? There is tiles already on the wall but when they come off im guessing its going to take chunks off of the wall.

How long could it take to tile a bathroom around 2m x 2m? There will be two of us doing it and would really need to get the bath fixed back in before i leave( im only there for the weekend so need to get as much done as possible).

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
kev25v6 said:
Ive read through the tiling guide and it seems very well written and should be easy enough to follow...
Thanks ;)

kev25v6 said:
Tiling will need to be done before fitting the main fixtures but does it matter if the tiles go below the height of the bath, will it still seal properly if its not tiled onto the bath?
You need to fit the tiles after the bath - you've more protection should your silicone lift this way.

kev25v6 said:
Can tiles be fitted to an uneven surface or does it really need to be flat/new plaster, not forgetting first time tiler?
Yes you can, but it's not a good idea. The flatter the wall, the easier and faster it will be to tile - especially as you haven't tiled before. You WILL struggle and probably end up with an unsatisfactory job if your wall is badly out.

kev25v6 said:
How long could it take to tile a bathroom around 2m x 2m? There will be two of us doing it and would really need to get the bath fixed back in before i leave( im only there for the weekend so need to get as much done as possible).
It's the old "how long is a piece of string" bit here. Size of tiles, flatness of walls, your competence, your tools, what obstacles you have to go round, adhesive, how many brews you have...... ok, but you get the idea.

Im guessing that we will be starting saturday morning and will be working till late, around midnight, then early start but need to be done by early evening, ive got 100 miles to drive home. Would you say its possible to get the bath back in in this time? With adhesive drying, grouting around bath area etc.

If the tiling is started with a baton above bath height how do you sort it so the last tile sits on the bath edge and seal it so it wont leak?

Hopefully the tiles will have been removed before i get there and any problems with the wall sorted but knowing my luck someone will be still in the bath when i get there.

Assuming the tiles are gone, replace the bath first. See how the tiles will fit to the ceiling if you start tiling from the bath with a full tile. Aim to have at least 3/4 tile at the ceiling with a ful tile on the bath. If less you then need to baton above the bath to leave an acceptable sized tile on the bath and at the ceiling.
Once you've found your level around the bath, tile behind the toilet and basin and tile as much as you can but leaving enough time to grout these tiles and refit the toilet and basin. Then continue with the rest of the room and do as much as you can. I doubt you'll finish in 2 days so it's important to get the suite refitted so your mother in law can wallow in her bath until next weekend when you come back and finish off. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I wonder if i could get away with just one row of tiles around the bath and sink, fit the bath and then just get divorced, wont have to do any more tiling there then. :LOL:

kev25v6 said:
Ive read through the tiling guide and it seems very well written and should be easy enough to follow...
Thanks ;)

kev25v6 said:
Tiling will need to be done before fitting the main fixtures but does it matter if the tiles go below the height of the bath, will it still seal properly if its not tiled onto the bath?
You need to fit the tiles after the bath - you've more protection should your silicone lift this way.

kev25v6 said:
Can tiles be fitted to an uneven surface or does it really need to be flat/new plaster, not forgetting first time tiler?
Yes you can, but it's not a good idea. The flatter the wall, the easier and faster it will be to tile - especially as you haven't tiled before. You WILL struggle and probably end up with an unsatisfactory job if your wall is badly out.

kev25v6 said:
It's the old "how long is a piece of string" bit here. Size of tiles, flatness of walls, your competence, your tools, what obstacles you have to go round, adhesive, how many brews you have...... ok, but you get the idea.
call me mate and i will tell you it all **************

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back