Fish smell from an unused plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I noticed a strong odour of fish in my bedroom. This morning I traced it to an unused plug socket behind a a bookcase. I switched off the power and undid the box and all seems well inside but the smell is strong.
Could it be the wiring in the wall that is causing this and is this something I should be dealing with right now?

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Sponsored Links
You have a dangerous situation, turn of the power to that socket and get an electrician in to fault find and repair.

The "fish" smell is from burning bakelite in the socket or a nearby junction box that is out of sight in the wall or unde the floor boards.

The burning is from an overheated terminal in the socket or junction box. Most often caused by the screw becoming loose and no longer pressing on the wire(s) in the terminal.

If the socket is not being used then the current causing the heating is going to an appliance elsewhere on the same circuit.

This type of fault does NOT trip MCBs until insulation has melted and wires are able to short together.

fish smell from electrical fittings is due to overheating.

In the circumstances you describe there is likely to be a loose connection inside the accessory.

Any overheated copper will be discoloured and will have gone soft, so when repaired you are likely to need a new accessory and to cut back the damaged part of the cable to remove discoloured copper and insulation.

If the remaining wire is too short to reconnect you are likely to need an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back