Low-profile plug and socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lots of books, so I have lots of bookcases. As a result, I have two bookcases that block access to mains sockets.

It's occurred to me that there's about 10mm clearance behind each bookcase, so: can standard 13A plugs and sockets be got which are that low a profile? I know I can get a socket that only stands 1-2mm proud of the wall, but plugs seem to start at around 20mm. Any suggestions?

Alternatively, are there any other connection systems that have a lower profile and will fit a standard back box? (I'd want more than 2A, so not a clock connector.)

Failing that, is there actually any problem with sticking a trailing socket on some flex attached to an FCU? It'd be peculiar and I've never seen it done, but I can't see why it would break any rules or be unsafe.

Sponsored Links
Failing that, is there actually any problem with sticking a trailing socket on some flex attached to an FCU? It'd be peculiar and I've never seen it done, but I can't see why it would break any rules or be unsafe.
If you don't want to do it properly (i.e. move the sockets) and if you're prepared to contemplate what you suggest, a (probably better/neater) alternative would be to swap a socket for an FCU (simple if it's a single socket/back box, more difficult if it's a double back box) and run some fixed surface wiring from the FCU to a new surface-mounted socket.

Kind Regards, John.

Move the sockets.

Nothing else makes sense.

Part P means I'd have to pay an electrician to do that. At which point it would probably make more sense to install additional sockets rather than move the current ones. But I think one of them is already a spur. And knowing my luck a blanking plate doesn't create a horizontal safe zone, so it would take a lot of re-wiring...

Sponsored Links
All sockets and FCUs contain screwed joints, and must therefore be accessible for inspection and testing.

I contend that sockets and FCUs behind bookcases are inaccessible.

All sockets and FCUs contain screwed joints, and must therefore be accessible for inspection and testing.

Only if the bookcases can't be moved.

'access for inspection and testing' is not the same as access for plugging the hoover in

There was a low profile plug which was marketed by MANWEB now Scottish Power but when the design altered to include the insulated part of the live pins these disappeared. You may find an old one and since it is not going to be removed likely not a problem.

I also have some sockets in bookcases originally fitted to power a fish tank and now only used at Christmas for the tree. To access I need to remove the books but in the main they remain hidden. To power a Christmas tree they are fine but any fuse will produce heat. There needs to be a way for the heat to escape and in the small cavity formed by the books the plug could overheat if near to full 13A was drawn.

It needs some common sense and thought I have where my TV is cut a hole in the cupboard back so I can reach the plugs and also allow the cupboard to sit close to the wall.

Some of the moulded plugs are slimmer than the re-wire-able types so cutting off the IEC connector and replacing it with a trailing socket may do what you want?

That view would effectively bring the positioning of items of movable furniture within the scope of BS7671, even though it was beyond the control of any electricians installing the circuits. It's hard to believe that this was intended.

Kind Regards, John.

Yes, that's true. But I would not want a 13A fuse of an FCU buried behind the bookcase and all those books.

I've been to too many houses where 'something' doesn't work only to find
- eventually -
that the problem is buried under a load of panelling.

Yes, that's true. But I would not want a 13A fuse of an FCU buried behind the bookcase and all those books. I've been to too many houses where 'something' doesn't work only to find - eventually - that the problem is buried under a load of panelling.
Fair enough. If it were only the fuse in an FCU which worried you, one could (assuming existing sockets are on a ring, and not spurs) run unfused spur(s) from the existing socket(s) location(s), replacing the socket(s) with, say, outlet plate(s). However, you might be concerned about even that being difficult to get at (or even difficult to determine that it exists).

We all know what the proper answer is. However, hands up all those who don't have sockets hidden behind heavy bits of furniture; I surely can't be the only one :)

Kind Regards, John.

Non-operating washing machines full of water and unwashed clothes, for instance?
Maybe, but I was thinking more of the fact that I would otherwise need at least a partial re-wire every few months when SWMBO decide that it was (yet again) time to move the furniture around :)

Kinde Regards, John.

In terms of a low profile plug, I've not seen any thinner than the one on my macbook air, I reckon the body is less than 10mm thick.

I've just taken a picture with a standard molded plug for comparison...

http://yourmiss.us/88wIUZ
Knowing Apple though, that lead will set you back best part of £30!

Dan

In terms of a low profile plug, I've not seen any thinner than the one on my macbook air, I reckon the body is less than 10mm thick.
That's about as thin as I've ever seen, and it must be approaching the limit of possible thinness - it obvioulsy has to be at least thick enough as the fuse plus two thicknesses of the outer casing.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back