Fish Waste on Lawn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

i have a sizeable tropical fish tank which needs water changes quite regurly. Would i be able to use this water to water my lawn? Would the fish waste and excess food damage the lawn or act as a fertiliser in some way? Would it smell or attract unwanted visitors?

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
I Have a koi pond and dump trhe waste out of my filters daily, approx 10-15gals. I pump this water into an old 50gal watertank and allow the muck to settle them use the water on my bonsai. Been doing it for 10yrs and the bonsai are fine so I see no reason why your lawn will suffer. The water from just a water change will be a lot cleaner than what comes out the bottom of my vortex chamber ;)

Jason

Dazza Jones said:
Hi All,

i have a sizeable tropical fish tank which needs water changes quite regurly. Would i be able to use this water to water my lawn? Would the fish waste and excess food damage the lawn or act as a fertiliser in some way? Would it smell or attract unwanted visitors?

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks in advance..

no its all good ! all natural fertiliser It doesnt smell at all, i use to do it (till i upgraded to a marine tank) Outside is fine, but defn. wouldnt do it inside the house for household plants!

Sponsored Links
I vacum ponds as a little side line and it all gets discharged out over the flower beds. Its great for the garden, providing youve not got any nasty chemicals in it. A fish tank/pond is only an aquatic compost heap after all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back