Fishing Shotgun Cable Up Dot and DAB Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have just a single coaxial cable going from my sky dish to the lounge connected to a face plate. The shotgun cable goes from the sky dish into the loft then into a converter (global stacker/destacker) which then sends the sky signal down the single coaxial cable into the lounge. I am suffering from a loss of channels lately on freesat and want to have sky tv in the lounge soon but don’t want the cables on outside of house.

Walls are dot and dab and going to try and attempt fishing the new webro wf-100 shotgun cable up through the walls and directly into sky dish (be done with the global stacker/destacker as well). I am thinking of using the current coaxial cable to join the shotgun cable onto and then pull this up through the wall standing in the loft. Problem is not sure if the joint will be strong enough by tying a knot so even looking into heat shrinking them together to provide a really strong joint so it doesn’t come loose half way up wall. It’s either this or fibreglass rods to do it (which I have) which could be a right faff with 4.5m to cover. Has anyone tried the first method of using a cable in the wall as your guide for the new cable?

Sponsored Links
If the cable is in plastic capping, then it's certainly possible. It could, of course, go horribly wrong and end up with no cable in there at all!
Behind the socket, if you give the cable a short, sharp tug downward, if there any movement in the loft?

If it's not in capping then it's unlikely you will be able to move it at all, as it will be trapped by the adhesive if the wall was done properly. There is supposed to be a continuous bead of adhesive at the top and bottom of the wall, to eliminate drafts and possible fire/smoke spread, like this...

0b3bd6b242338b8f7fc4d65cf8a2dc10.jpg

So, seeing as you are going from ground floor to loft, it will be trapped in at least three places.

I have certainly done it many times to get coax/cat5e/telephone cables from the loft to a first floor room, which is reasonably simple, but never to the ground. In my home, I have run cables directly from loft to ground inside a stud wall however and another stud wall directly in line below, is that a possibility for you based on room layouts/etc?

Thanks for the help I will have a try at pulling the cable from the loft to see if there is any movement. I think there isn’t though as when I was up there a year or so ago I can vaguely remember wondering why there was no play in another aerial cable in the loft. Your explanation would make sense and will be pretty much snookered unless I want to start cutting holes out the wall which is then not worth the time and hassle!

Sponsored Links
The cable is going to be clipped for a start ! Best bet ....buy a cheap set of thin rods (. £10 ) see if you can feed them down the back of the plasterboard ....it's worth a go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back