Fit Manual Overide to Outside Light Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm intending to install some garden lights (not security lights), which I want to be controlled via a timer or photocell. However, I'd also like mount an outside switch so that, if we are in the garden and wish to switch the lights on early, we can do. I've thought about this and I'm thinking that it's as simple as treating it as a two way light switching circuit but with one of the switches being a timer/photocell and the other a simple on/off switch.

Am I correct in thinking it's that simple, or is it more complex than that?

Sponsored Links
no.
Just fit a switch to bypass the photocell.

Maybe you want a switch to bypass the timer, as that sounds more useful? or maybe the timer has that function in it?

Thanks for the responses.

AndyPRK - I thought about your suggestion but what I'm trying to achieve is the following. If we decide to operate the lights before the timer/photocell switched them on, at the end of the night, I'm pretty sure I will forget to switch them off again hence, I'd like the timer/photocell to take back control. Which in my mind is like a two way switching circuit i.e. the last operated switch determines the status of the light.

Bernardgreen - If the PIR wasn't part of the circuit, and we just had a time switch and manual switchwould it become a two way circuit?

Sponsored Links
If the PIR wasn't part of the circuit, and we just had a time switch and manual switchwould it become a two way circuit?

If it was a two circuit with the timer as one of the two switches then.... The timer goes ON and the lamp is lit. Later you switch the other switch to turn the lamp OFF. Some time later the timer period times out and goes OFF. This causes the lamp to come back ON when you don't want it to

If the timer is one that has a button to start the time period then

upload_2019-5-4_12-51-27.png

If it was a two circuit with the timer as one of the two switches then.... The timer goes ON and the lamp is lit. Later you switch the other switch to turn the lamp OFF. Some time later the timer period times out and goes OFF. This causes the lamp to come back ON when you don't want it to
That can't be right.
How would you connect a two-way switch to a timer with ony one Line terminal?

Either there are two-way timer switches (and PIRs) or there are not. I don't think there are.

Chose a PIR that has a “pulse override” feature. You just need a switch in the supply line to the PIR.
All that is needed is to switch the supply off and on twice and the light will stay on until it next automatically turns off.
No extra wiring needed.

How would you connect a two-way switch to a timer with ony one Line terminal?

As the OP wants an over ride ON function and not a two way function then timer or what ever control the lamp "automatically" only requires to have a make contact.

Chose a PIR that has a “pulse override” feature.

Easy cabling agree but can result in the lamp being on all night if the mains glitches and puts the PIR into permanent ON mode.

As the OP wants an over ride ON function and not a two way function then timer or what ever control the lamp "automatically" only requires to have a make contact.
Two-way function is, or was, what he wanted.

Easy cabling agree but can result in the lamp being on all night if the mains glitches and puts the PIR into permanent ON mode.
So could your previous quote (and all day), and what the OP wants to avoid.

AndyPRK - I thought about your suggestion but what I'm trying to achieve is the following. If we decide to operate the lights before the timer/photocell switched them on, at the end of the night, I'm pretty sure I will forget to switch them off again hence, I'd like the timer/photocell to take back control. Which in my mind is like a two way switching circuit i.e. the last operated switch determines the status of the light.

Tiger173 said:
I'm pretty sure I will forget to switch them off again hence, I'd like the timer/photocell to take back control.

And if he did not forget and did turn them OFF then, with a simple two circuit, when the timer/photocell took back control the lights would come back on..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back