Photocell with manual override?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking to replace an outside light which is controlled by a switch and is fed off the downstairs lighting circuit.

The light has a switched live (controlled by the switch inside), neutral and earth. However I am hoping to replace this light with a photocell unit which I can wire two replacement lights from so once it starts to get dark the lights automatically come on.

My issue is I would like to have control to override the photocell so I can put the lights on before the photocell kicks in.

Is this possible with my current wiring setup? I am not willing to make changes to the wiring that is fixed internally.

In a older house I used to live in their was a security light which could be set to be on all the time by switching off and on twice within so many seconds at the switch. It was just a case of turning it off for a minute and turning it back on and it used to work based on the PIR.

I am open to all suggestions which will enable me to get this working how I would like.

Sponsored Links
To do what you describe you would need a new cable from the switch to the light fitting

I thought that maybe the case. Does such PIR sensor exist which could do the same as photocell which gives me the override option? Thanks.

You can get all sorts, including wifi connected smart PIR controls which can do all you want, the limit is how much you are willing to pay.

I use app controlled outside lights as having them flashing on/off with every badger, fox, squirrel or cat is annoying. Not to save money, the other point is don't want them to switch off when half way to back door.

But a 10 watt bulb uses that little power it does not pay to fit the controls.

Sponsored Links
I don't really have a budget for the job, all I know is I don't want to make a mess inside having to fit extra cables etc.

Thinking about it I could fit a quinetic receiver in an external box with the photocell at a later date if it becomes an issue where I want the lights on earlier.

I am planning on running the lights from the external box with the photocell fitted in conduit rather than clipping black flex to the brickwork.

I simply replaced the outside light switch with a Tapo (TP-Link) which has dusk and dawn features and can switch a lamp with a built in PIR, as battery powered so does not need a neutral.

I can be linked to a PIR, but have no intentions of doing that.

A good PIR has light level, sensitivity, and one time adjustments, but most you need to mask to alter sensitivity and light level so not independent.

The ones I had on my mothers house would be activated by passing cars, mounted on garage at least 5 car lengths from the road.

I would walk the dog walking around the old estate where I lived talking to my friends on local repeater. Miss Piggy we called it, and my route would be lit but outside lights switching on throughout to walk, and even the odd car alarm.

They are a little better now, but I was using 5 watt, and licence would allow way over that. Unlikely anyone knew why the lights went on.

I had to drive into drive forwards, or it would not triggure, it detected the heat of the radiator.

Why not just buy a fitting that does the same as what you had in the older house, JCC amongst others make them

Why not just buy a fitting that does the same as what you had in the older house, JCC amongst others make them
I think that the majority of PIRs and PIR lights do have the 'on-off-on'over-ride facility these days, but I don't know about 'dusk-to-dawn' sensors/lights (i.e. those without a PIR).

Kind Regards, John

I this instance I agree the Kinetic approach feels right, I lucky the receiver/relay can be mounted in an enclosure which doubles as the junction box for the sensor and light(s) and the existing switch can be retained for 'off' override.

Possible suggestions:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4881.html or https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4917.html
And merely a suggestion for enclosure but I have not attempted to establish if it will house the receiver: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK1010G.html

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back