External lights - floods & bulkhead, circuit issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
With our current house we inherited what appears to be a very well designed & installed electric system. The previous owners had invested in a full re-wire and whoever actually did it for them did a very neat and tidy job in my (amateur) eyes.

Everything is clearly labelled, circuits are logically switched, fused, structured, etc. If I look at the outlet in the loft for the aerial amplifier I can trace its route back via FCUs to the main CU with its labelling for example.

However... The house has a separate circuit for external lights. This comprises 3 sodium style floodlights bathing the main external areas, 2 bulkhead lights down the side covering bins and side gate; 2 garden lights; a photocell controlling the whole circuit for dusk till dawn operation; 2 relays performing the switching, one in the loft for the floodlights up at eaves height and 1 near the main CU controlling the bulkhead and garden lights. The circuit is fed from a dedicated MCB and then via a couple of FCU’s - one for the whole system and another in the loft switching the photocell circuit.

It has stopped working and I have no idea why!

I think power is fed to the photocell permanently; this then switches the load live via the two relays. I assume the relays are in place as the photocell has a limited load switch rating.

I need to start tracing/testing and could do with some advice where to start/which order to progress. So far I’ve replaced the photocell and the two relays as they were cheap - no change.

We used to be able to hear the downstairs relay click on but it now appears the whole circuit is dead. The MCB and fuses in the applicable 2 FCU’s are working and fine.

Any ideas where to start?!

Sponsored Links
You will need a two probe voltage tester. Don’t forget that you’ll need to test that the live and the neutral connections are there.
NOT one of those magic wands and NOT a neon screwdriver. A multimeter is OK for this.

as it is everything that is not working, start at the supply end and work towards the lights. Draw a diagram of the wiring as you progress.

Sponsored Links
Yep, guessed I’d be getting my multi-meter out.

Am I right to think I should see permanent power to the photocell and input to the relays, and then obviously switched output from the relays if I chuck a towel over the ‘cell?

Based on memory of the system, the order of tracing would be CU -> FCU -> FCU -> ‘cell -> relays -> lights. I’ll draw it out and grab pictures as I go.

Could a failed sodium floodlight cause issues further back in the supply?

Check the supply is there at the photocell. I would link the cell out (electrically) to eliminate it. The towel method will rely on a the photocell and its wiring bring in place and working, and you may go down a wrong track.

I'd also be checking you have good neutral connection at the contactors if you are no longer hearing them activate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back