Fitted laminate in bedroom then coated with Ronseal Varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted laminate in bedroom then coated with Ronseal Varnish. The instructions stated this was not advisable. I did it to 'seal' the floor from future spills as intend to rent.

Now the varnish is flaking off. What's the best procedure to remove/strip the varnish from the laminate floor, white spirit, scrub brush and sponge water ?

Sponsored Links
hhheeelllooo semorgam

unless i am very much mistaken its basicly a picture coverd by a plastic membrane on top off mdf or chipboard!!!!!
or is it a more expensive floor with a solid wood veneer attached!!!

Hello again m8, I laid real-wood (engineered) with a lacquered finish. The varnish bonded OK for about 6 months until I started rolling a wheelie office desk chair over it

i wouldnt like to hazzard a guess as the veneer is only about 2 or 3mm thick

the usual answer applies try it on a scrap or a hidden area :LOL: :LOL: ;)

unless someone else has a better idea :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Most Wood-Engineered flooring can take one or two proper sandings (removing 1 to 1.5mm wood per sanding job). With Wood-Veneer floors (solid top-layer of 0.2 to 1.5mm) it's a bit more tricky as you can imagine ;)

Small damages to varnished floors are best treated by lightly sanding the area and (re)applying a varnish coat. With larger damages to the varnish the whole floor has to be sanded.
(One of the reasons we prefer oiled finishes, small and even larger damages can be treated with wax and/or waxpolish without the need to sand)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back