fitted new windows with issues?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we had new windows installed also the frames were removed - everything was replaced. Questions: 1. is it ok if the new window is scratched, 2. if the door handles are also scratched (one photo as an example is attached)? 3. On the first photo the hinges from the garden doors left side (there are 3 like this on the doors) and those ones are ok. On the right the hinges from the right side (you can see the screws/connections - they had to be stretched as the fitter said "the doors have to fit"). Is this kind of "stretch" normal? 4. Plus once side of the garden doors seems a bit hard to close - you have to push it a bit more. The other side is ok. Are all of those things I have listed normal or should they all be replaced or corrected? Apologies I have never had windows fitted before so not sure what the standards are and what is normal, acceptable and what is not.

Attachments

• window 1.JPG
    window 1.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 136
  • window 2.JPG
    window 2.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 135
  • window 3.JPG
    window 3.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
The door hinges is normal , its where they have been adjusted ( However I am surprised to see that much adjustment on new doors , possibly not toe and heeled correctly) , some times you can see the ' pins ' , however the door being stiff is not correct, and will require to be be adjusted. Damaged new door handles is a big no , they should replace them, as the manufacturer should also replace them ( unless fitters damaged them ).

The window being scratched is .. now is it the glass thats scratched or the frame? If its the glass then there are ' rules ' ( which to be honest are quite ridiculous! ).. BAsically if the scratch is within 50mm of the edge of the glass OR you ar e looking through the glass ( not at the glass ) from a distance of 2mtrs away , not in direct sunlight , and you can't see it then its deemd acceptable , HOWEVER, a decent company/fitter would replace it .
If its the frame , then again it shouldn't be scratched and would depend on the position ans type of scratch....some can be lessened by using certain products

Thank you for your comments very useful. One more comment in relation to the stiffed balcony door: to close them the you can "just ordinary close them" with the handle or the other option is to lift the handle up to close them properly. When I just "ordinary" close them, in the right part (where those hinges are so visible and extended, plus this is the part which in general is stiff to close) there is a space at the bottom or they do not close tightly at the bottom (and you can feel the air coming through there). Below the 1st photo is from the bottom where they do not close properly (you should be able to see the opening there and some metal parts of the window), and the 2nd photo is from the top were they close properly/tightly (as they should be I assume). I do not think this is ok?

Replacing door handles, I assume it should be rather easy, not the whole door but only the handles is it correct?

The glass is scratched not the frame. The scratch starting point is covered by the frame - so I assume it starts where the edge is. It is about 12cm long (across and going slightly up) the whole window is about 32cm wide.

Attachments

• window 4.JPG
    window 4.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 86
  • window 5.JPG
    window 5.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Thank you, sounds easy enough... do not like to use "easy" now as when the fitters came they said it will be an easy job and ...left the windows with all those faults. They are supposed to come back tomorrow so I'm gathering as much advice and opinions on all this as I can.

Thank you, sounds easy enough... do not like to use "easy" now as when the fitters came they said it will be an easy job and ...left the windows with all those faults. They are supposed to come back tomorrow so I'm gathering as much advice and opinions on all this as I can.
is the glass scratched on outside or inside?

glass is quite difficult to scratch its mostly caused by being scrapped by other bits of glass

It is scratched on the inside (inside the room) so I can feel it when I am in the room and I "run my nail" through it.

It is scratched on the inside (inside the room) so I can feel it when I am in the room and I "run my nail" through it.
ah ok, so its on the external face of the glass not inside the double glazing

in which case it was scratched almost certainly in handling after manufacture -probably on delivery or by tradesmen on site

if the corner of a double glass unit rubs against the face of another unit -you get a scratch

There is a "proper" big crack in another window, it is facing outside (it's double glazed window, the crack is kind of half moon shape by one side of the frame) and I can feel that the level of the main glass in that window comparing with the level of the glass from the moon shape cut off by the grass is not even, you can really feel the difference there.

The door sash not closing properly sounds like it's not quite square in the.opening..twisted slightly across the horizontal or vertical. Shouldn't be able to see daylight through it when pulled close but do note that full compression of the door isn't achieved until the handle is pulled up, up until that point the door is only latched in the centre , you can still push the top and bottom .
The scratched and cracked glass should both be replaced, at 12cms long it's outside of any guidelines, and as you can feel it with your nail no amount of polishing will fully remove it, you will be left with a ' scar '

Ok, thank you. So those doors can be fixed? They are stiff to close as well. Or should they be replaced?

One more photo: when I use level it shows as the fittings for the door handles are not even, is it ok/normal?

Attachments

• window 7.JPG
    window 7.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 92
Two more questions, if two dark/grey pads (like on the photo 1 here in the old frame) are removed from one side of the side window panel (which is not ever going to be opened, like on the photo 2) to the balcony doors is it ok or not? And if the level looks like on photo 3 in one place is it ok? Should the level be used when fitting windows?

Attachments

• window 8.JPG
    window 8.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 85
  • window 9a.jpg
    window 9a.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 84
  • window 10.png
    window 10.png
    930.3 KB · Views: 91

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back