fitted new windows with issues?

Two more questions, if two dark/grey pads (like on the photo 1 here in the old frame) are removed from one side of the side window panel (which is not ever going to be opened, like on the photo 2) to the balcony doors is it ok or not? And if the level looks like on photo 3 in one place is it ok? Should the level be used when fitting windows?
Don't mean this with any disrespect, but are you low level trolling? You seem to be coming back with question after question, some of them with relatively straightforward answers I would have thought.

Should new handles be scratched or damaged? No. Ask installer to replace.
Should new glass be scratched or damaged? No. Ask installer to replace (or negotiate money off assuming it's just scratched not cracked.)
Should doors be difficult to open/close? No. Ask installer to adjust and if still too difficult and can't be fixed, request reinstallation.

The grey bits you refer to are packers, used to ensure glass is correctly installed. How do you even know if they are/aren't installed in the side panel? Once glass in and beading on, you can't see them?

If you think any of the frames are quite significantly out of plumb, speak to the installer and either negotiate money off or request reinstallation.

Sponsored Links
I'm just an ordinary person who does not have any experience with fitting the windows. I just want to understand as much as possible, to know what should have been done, what the standards in the UK are in relation to the new fitted windows and what they should correct and how. I just do want them to come back and tell for example "the windows are a bit stiff now but will get better as you will use them" or "it is just a small scratch" or something along those lines. I'm just really surprise that there is an issue in each room they installed the windows. For me the questions I'm asking are not the same, perhaps more specific and perhaps only for me they are different - as I said I'm not a fitter and I'm not a builder - I do not know about either or those much. Now of course with the help from people here I do get it better - so thank you to all. In relation the packers I saw them putting it into the frame, next when the original custom-made-window panel did not fit they brought some other panel which seem to fit better but they had to remove those two pads on one side of the frame and put this other panel. When I asked them if removing those pads was ok for the window/window frame - they said "yes". So again: if they put them originally there and they are in the old frame, but now they are removed from one side of one window panel is it really ok?

Last edited:
The packers are used to ensure the double glazed unit is correctly seated in the frame and they're a critical part of the toe & heel process, although that won't be as relevant to a non moving side panel.

I'm only a diy'er so others more experienced on here might correct me, however when it comes to packers in such a panel, I think the main priority is to ensure there are packers used on the bottom to mitigate the risk of the glazed unit sitting in water that might collect in the bottom of the frame. Side and top packers might be less important in a side panel assuming the glazed unit is completely secure with no movement.

Sponsored Links
but are you low level trolling? You seem to be coming back with question after question, some of them with relatively straightforward answers I would have thought.

Why people come here is not just to ask questions and gain some knowledge, but also to plan their work and some of the suggestions here may turn out to be actual work.
What is straight forward to me in my field of work is so complex for some. For example, I can type atleast 60 words per minute without mistakes everytime I type. But my partner may be 20 words per minute with many mistakes.
Wish all the installers and businesses operate neutrally and treat customers fairly while quoting or executing the contract or post installation support during warranty. But that's not the case anymore. Some of the businesses are money mongers. As a customer/buyer, if you didn't have much information, then you will be taken for a ride.

Hello again, the company which was due to address all the “snugging issues” (as they call them) in 2 weeks or so, has not done anything yet. Once emailed they do not response, just got the info from the Housing Association that “...the company told them that the units have not been arriving in time recently…” - the units meaning all the faulty windows to be replaced. It has been 1.5 months and we are still in limbo. Not sure what kind of relationship the company which installed the windows has with the company that produces all the windows, but they should know that some corrections/replacement might be needed so this should be a priority – I expect. I honestly do not know what might be causing such a delay. I think this is not a good customer service from the company which installed the windows, leaving us without any updates, so we have to chase them, ignoring the emails…Anyway, enough of my rant but this is stressful and I am not sure what job they will do when they will come to replace and correct everything…

OK, As I have mentioned earlier the locks in the windows were getting stiff while opening them and closing them (the part which is getting stiffed is circled in yellow – it is the whole mechanism in this lock). During the first inspection the man from the company which installed the windows, sprayed them with some special spray (he sprayed those locks plus also underneath – I think - somehow “inside the lock” as the red arrow is pointing) which should help and it did for a couple of weeks. Now those locks are getting stiff again, it is getting really hard to open them. I do not think it is normal. If he comes again to spray again I do not think it will hep in a long term… And advice on this please?

Attachments

• window 11.PNG
    window 11.PNG
    735.6 KB · Views: 65
I'm not sure to what extent this is affecting the double glazing industry, however many companies are experiencing significant supply chain issues. This might account for the delay in the replacement windows being delivered and installed.

Regarding the handles that are difficult to operate, are they still difficult to operate when the window is open? If yes, that indicates the window mechanism needs adjusting and/or is faulty. Not much you can do about that until they're looked at once more by the company and/or replaced. If the handles are only difficult to operate when the window is in the closed position, that indicates the locking pins might need adjusted. The locking pins are the 'lugs' on the underside of the opener that locate into the metal pieces on the frame, those are called espags.

Look at section 4d in this link. However I would have thought the company would have checked this already?

Thank you very helpful. When the windows are open two handles work smoothly, the 3rd handle works ok plus makes a noise when I lift it (move it from horizontal position = when it aligned with the frame to the portrait one - the position which is on the photo in my earlier post today) - I hope you know what I mean. Not sure if they checked it, definitely did not compare how the locks work when the window was opened and when the window was closed during the 1st inspection. The man just sprayed the locks with some special spray...

Thank you very helpful. When the windows are open two handles work smoothly, the 3rd handle works ok plus makes a noise when I lift it (move it from horizontal position = when it aligned with the frame to the portrait one - the position which is on the photo in my earlier post today) - I hope you know what I mean. Not sure if they checked it, definitely did not compare how the locks work when the window was opened and when the window was closed during the 1st inspection. The man just sprayed the locks with some special spray...
This indicates the mechanism is probably fine and it's the locking pins/cams that need adjusting. You can normally have a go at this yourself, refer to the previous link. Sometimes they're adjusted by pulling out and turning, sometimes you need an allen key. The circumference of the pin/cam isn't a perfect circle, it's offset slightly. Turning them one way will create a tighter seal when closing the window (handle more difficult to operate) and turning them the other way will create a slacker seal (handle easier to operate.)

You want to find a happy medium between ensuring the window is closing/sealing properly and the handle not being too difficult to operate.

Re the noise coming from the other mechanism, it's difficult to comment on that over a forum as you'll appreciate. Small clicks and creaks from mechanisms don't always mean there's a problem. However if the noise sounds wrong e.g. grating and if you feel resistance when moving the handle, then it needs checked out.

The man came today to adjust the windows plus he sprayed them again with the silicone spray (he sprayed them also about 1.5 months ago but they got stiffed again). So when the windows are open 2 handles works ok now, the 3rd makes a noise (a bit weird for me, the window fitter said it is normal....I really do not think so). He also said the windows might need oiling/spraying once or perhaps even twice a year, according to his company it is a standard windows maintenance - I have never heard about something like this nor have to oil/spray windows in the other places where I have lived. Is oiling/spraying the windows with the silicone spray, once or twice a year, really normal?

The man came today to adjust the windows plus he sprayed them again with the silicone spray (he sprayed them also about 1.5 months ago but they got stiffed again). So when the windows are open 2 handles works ok now, the 3rd makes a noise (a bit weird for me, the window fitter said it is normal....I really do not think so). He also said the windows might need oiling/spraying once or perhaps even twice a year, according to his company it is a standard windows maintenance - I have never heard about something like this nor have to oil/spray windows in the other places where I have lived. Is oiling/spraying the windows with the silicone spray, once or twice a year, really normal?
As I mentioned previously, hearing various noises from door/window mechanisms doesn't necessarily mean there's a fault. Bear in mind, some mechanisms have quite a few moving parts. As for lubrication ...

Thank you for the information about the lubrication. In terms of the noise - as mentioned 2 handles do not make that noise, the 3rd one does. I understand there is a mechanise but somehow I think it should be the same for all - but it is only my thought. Again thank you for your input, it is always very good to hear from someone who knows way more on the subject.

Unfortunately, this story is still going on… the fitters received the new doors (to replace the other “new” doors which had so many faults and were installed several weeks earlier), we set up a date and they came to fit them. On the day they removed the old ones. While doing so they damaged the side panels – photos attached. Next, they took the old doors away. After some time, they came back with the info that the new doors they had in the car were damaged and could not use it – as they said there was some plastic wrap and now when they removed it, it appeared the new doors were not good to be fitted. They brought the old ones back and installed them again on the damaged panels. They said they would order the new doors. I can not understand… The previous windows, doors were also damaged, at that time they also said “this is how we got it”… How come they did not check those ones properly at once when they received them? Plus when they removed the glass from side windows, in one frame, at the bottom, there were brown stains in the corners– photo attached – as if the rain water was coming through (it was not raining properly yet otherwise I think the stains might have been bigger?). I asked them if it means that the seal was not working properly? Still have not receive any answer… I do not know how long they will have to wait for the new windows (originally, 2 months back, they said 2 weeks and it stretched to over 2 months, now we have to wait again). Anyway I told them if they have them within the next couple of weeks that is ok, later, when it gets cold I will not let them in as having all windows removed for a couple of hours will freeze the house and I do not want to bear extra electricity cost for this, it has already caused me so much stress, plus not sure how dump, colder weather might affect the installation, seals drying up etc?

Attachments

• DSC_2594.jpg
    DSC_2594.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_2592.JPG
    DSC_2592.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_2591.JPG
    DSC_2591.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back