fitted new windows with issues?

The fitters came and fix the new doors on Tuesday, it seems almost ok. Two questions: 1st: there are "breaks"/space/cracks in between the white thing ( I will call it tape) around the glass in the corners, in a couple of places (as per the photo number 1), this is only on the inside (= so inside the house). The outside corners have been sealed. Are those "breaks" ok on the inside part of the window, or should they be sealed as well or can they be left like this? The 2nd: only today I have notices a scratch on the glass, it is very small - about 2.5cm, this is double glazed window so it is on the outer glass, but somehow inside, so you can not feel it, you can only see it. Is it ok?

Attachments

• DSC_2655.JPG
    DSC_2655.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_2657.JPG
    DSC_2657.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Picture one, the glazing bead has either been cut too short at the factory(not the fitters fault) OR entirely possible they got the left and right hand beads mixed up, they aren't always the same length, just a case of getting them to pop them out and swap over, if that wasn't the case then a new bead is required. Picture 2, the outer pane is cracked and the whole double glazed unit now needs replacing, what sticks out to me is the kite mark in the corner of the glass says its toughened, well the outer pane certainly isn't as it wouldn't crack like that, it would shatter. The only reason I can think of for mixing float glass(the outer pane) and toughened(pressumeably the inner one seeing as it says toughened) is that the floor level inside the room is within 800mm of the glass but the outer is more hence doesn't require toughened glass outside.

Also the glass unit has been fitted to far to the right as you can see the edge of the spacer bar, in this case a supa spacer, you can see the silver line, that should be hidden

Definetly a cracked unit in picture 2 , but I'd say that was a laminate pane , and the the other is the Toughened pane. You can just make out the laminate kite mark. My guess would be it falls under Doc Q building regs , no other reason really to use laminate glass ( unless requested )

Sponsored Links
Definetly a cracked unit in picture 2 , but I'd say that was a laminate pane
Screenshot_20221006-190023_Chrome.jpg
Yup! "Laminated" "BS EN 14449"
It was a little confusing, as the shadow from the crack extends across the spacer, making it appear as if the crack was on the inner pane! :)

Thank you all very much for your comments. Ok so to make sure I do follow up and understand it (please remember neither I'm a glass fitter, nor in any kind of a building trade, nor English is my 1st language, hence I'm double checking I understand everything correctly):
1. which one is the laminate pane (that is the outside one, correct?),which one is the toughened pane (is it this one inside the house = facing the room, am I right?) .
2. how come it is possible the outer pane is cracked but I can not feel it?
3. Should I also start to read and/or be aware of "..Doc Q building regs.." or it was just a thing you mention between you?
4. Someone, to whom I mentioned the scratch (now crack) said that "... if it is not visible from 3 metres away, I can ask for this to be replaced but probably the window company will say no...". What do you think about this kind of approach?
5. In terms of the spaces between the beads, the same person said that "....it is just visual inconvenience and if the window company won't fix it I can fill with white silicone, if I want...." What do you think of this?
6. In relation to "....Also the glass unit has been fitted to far to the right as you can see the edge of the spacer bar, in this case a supa spacer, you can see the silver line, that should be hidden.." I checked on the internet, the super spacer is between the panes (as I understand it) so it is wide (photo attached), where is the silver line you have mentioned? Could you please perhaps, on the photo I attached earlier, where you can see this silver line (please note those are 2 photos from two different windows) - zoom in, point this silver line with an arrow (or somehow mark it) and post on this forum, so I can see where it is please? Thank you all again for your help.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 32
1 / not 100 % sure looking at the picture but technically the laminate should be on the outside face for security reasons
2/ laminate is two panes of glass with an interlayer keeping them together , added security. It will be the ' inner ' layer of glass that is cracked so you can't feel it
3/ was it a new build property? As document q would be building regulations.
4/ if it had been a scratch / mark / imperfection then if not visible stood 3mtrs away looking through the glass not at the glass and not in direct sunlight it would be deemed acceptable. This is broken so not covered by the 3mtr rule
5/ ideally those beads should be the right length, filling with silicone is not really correct, you are within your rights to have them replaced
6/ spacer bar should be fully behind the beading, so that the front face is at least flush with the black gasket, the silver line I have highlighted in the attached picture
Screenshot_20221006_214927_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your help and clarification. The windows are in the apartment block, a couple of flats did have a problem with the old windows, so the Housing Association Company decided to change them all in all the apartments. My windows were fine and now I must go through all of this… it’s so, so stressful… I thought this Tuesday’s visit would sort everything out, but it seems not yet. I have a man (from this fitting company) coming on Wednesday, cause two handles are scratched (one we knew about for long and has not been replaced yet, the other one a new one – but they spotted it at once and said would exchange it straight away). It is getting better but cannot believe there are still all those faults….Also that neither of us notices this scratch/crack when they installed the windows on Tuesday (even the people from the Housing Association were here). I thought it was scratch and this is what I emailed them with the photo – I hope they will be able to see themselves, as you did that it is a crack and needs replacing, hopefully.... Not sure if it could be just very small at first and grow bigger within days?

The company that provides all those fitting services is huge. I have had 3 different teams coming to deal with those windows as there were 3 visits so far, the last team somehow (for me) seems the best – perhaps because they fitted the doors finally… The windows are to have 10 year warranty – not sure how they are fitted in other apartments. I know majority of people seem to be ok, no faults (at least this is what I’ve been told), but there is a number of people who did have some problems (however, not such a huge problems my windows had) also not sure if anybody is bother with the silver line or even aware of it – or perhaps it is only in my case…Honestly, totally unnecessary stress, when this is going to be over…? I do not have even have the strength to tell them about this silver line nor those beads - as they are in a couple of windows... not sure what explanation they would come back with.... Totally exhausted by this whole situation....

Just out of interest, is there any independed body or an organization like this, I could talk about it, just in case they refuse to fix that glass. I'm getting fed up... I'm really so exhausted by this.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your help and clarification. The windows are in the apartment block, a couple of flats did have a problem with the old windows, so the Housing Association Company decided to change them all in all the apartments. My windows were fine and now I must go through all of this… it’s so, so stressful ...
A similar thing happened in the high rise my mum lives in. Mixture of council and private owned. x years back they were upgrading the whole block, cladding, new windows, new heating. Mum's place is privately owned but she opted to receive the upgrades. Mum couldn't compare new vs old windows as she'd only just moved in, however folk that had lived there longer and opted to get the new double glazing installed said their older units were better all round.

Then, in their wisdom, the contractors decided to clean the windows (when finishing up) with wire wool, to get specs of paint etc off. Result? More than a few scratches on the glass noticeable to varying degrees.

Muppets. You couldn't make it up.

Hope you get it all sorted.

I hope this man who is due to come on Wednesday will see and acknowledge all the faults... at least this crack.... The last question for now: can this visible sliver line affect the window/the glass/the pressure in between the panes somehow or what effect it might have on window or a window frame if it is visible?

Sorry to hear about your mum but I hope it did get positively sorted. I would really like the people to do the jobs right, not to leave the customer chase them to correct the faults. I will get some energy back and distress this weekend.

Again huge, massive thank you to all who have provided the feedback, the advice in this whole story so far - you rock! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back