Fitted punchbag bracket to ceiling joist, it'll be ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I fitted a punchbag bracket to my bedroom ceiling. I climbed into the loft to find the beam, which was probably 3 inches wide and then drilled through the artex into the joist, then I hammered in the plugs and screwed the bracket on. Whilst in the loft I screwed a board into the joist being used and also into the next one on the right, I also did the same to the left side but using a single thin plank and not a board, hopefully this will provide extra rigidity.

So I'm assuming I've done this correctly, will the bracket stay put now as I'm still a bit unsure if I start smacking the bag it'll fall out!

Sponsored Links
Forgive me, but its not necessary to use plugs when screwing into timber - just long screws......
Anyway, pull down hard on the punch bag.....I'm sure it will be perfectly solid if your screws were long enough.
John :)

thanks john, yes I did wonder why the plugs were to be used, it feels solid and doesnt wobble so it should be fine, im an ocd freak which doesnt help!

Just check the thing from time to time to make sure the ceiling fixing is tight, and I'm sure you'll find it will be ok.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you are just punching it will be fine but if you kick as well may damage the plasterboard ceiling if it hits it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back