Fitted sliding wardrobe design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've been building out a design for one of my biggest projects yet, and have equally taken the time to learn sketchup to help me visualise it.

The main plan was to have a sliding wardrobe around the chimney and also have it raised from the ground.

I've so far designed a base but am struggling with how to incorporate the interior into this design. I initially thought i could create two carcases and put this onto the base which had been created. I'd also like to somehow make use of the small hap in front of the chimney. Maybe something for shoes?

Any advice?

Attachments

• Wardrobe V4 - Stage 5 (2).png
    Wardrobe V4 - Stage 5 (2).png
    520.7 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
I've built similar - although I pulled the front further out to create some proper storage in front of the chimney breast.
For me, I went for simplicity and speed for building the interior - I used a combination of Hejne units from IKEA and butchered them to fit.
...and if the side panels are against an external wall, you may want to consider some insulation on that wall of the wardrobe, to help avoid condensation and mould.

Ah yes, I hadn't thought about the issues with cold walls.

I'd love to move them forward as realistically the wardrobes are too shallow but it would leave very little room for the bed which is opposite them.

I've added an image with a bed in place. We do have a bay window in the undrawn part of the image (Bottom right)

Attachments

• Wardrobe V4 - Stage 5 (3).png
    Wardrobe V4 - Stage 5 (3).png
    429 KB · Views: 54
If space is tight hinged doors will give you another 25 to 30 mm depth over sliders - maybe consider bifolds instead? Carcasses without backs will give you a small amount extra depth (about 20mm). Having the area in front of the chimney breast as open "pidgeon holes" may be a better use of space. I'd also build the ladder frames as separate frames, not connected. Ideally you need some toe space beneath the main carcases so you don't stub your toes all the time.

Sponsored Links
Internal carcass just waste space, if you dont have space to run clothes hanging space you can use trombone rails to run front to back.

Trombone rails can also be a waste of space as you may only get one rail in each alcove, if narrow. A carcase gives you a square structure with flat, consistent walls to fix rails, etc to. We have a small amount of insulation packed between our carcasses and the outside wall, too. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Trombone rails can also be a waste of space as you may only get one rail in each alcove, if narrow. A carcase gives you a square structure with flat, consistent walls to fix rails, etc to. We have a small amount of insulation packed between our carcasses and the outside wall, too. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Trombone rails waste no space, can be only solution is space is to narrow for other rails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back