Built In Sliding Wardrobe Base Design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking to create some built-in sliding wardrobes for our bedroom, but it's not something I've done before, so I am seeking the best way to achieve it. I've created some renderings in sketchup of my plan.

The plan is to have a wardrobe in either alcove and a TV with shoe rack in front of the chimney breast.

Stage 1 - Create a base using three separate "frames". These will provide a level base.

1678287068724.png

Stage 2 - Put down 3 (This seems easiest to split into 3 but open to suggestions) mdf boards to provide the base.

1678287125015.png

Stage 3 - Put a front MDF board on to hide the base.

1678287671438.png

Stage 4 - Attach the bottom and side liners. Is the bottom liner required or can i put the track directly onto my base?

1678287212032.png

Stage 5 - I have not created further renders in case i am incorrect so far. I will not be using carcasses as the depth for the wardrobes is quite shallow and i don't want to lose any further room.

I would like to attach either MDF or plasterboard to the sides of the chimney breast to separate the "tv area" from the wardrobes either side.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I'm looking to create some built-in sliding wardrobes for our bedroom, but it's not something I've done before, so I am seeking the best way to achieve it. I've created some renderings in sketchup of my plan.

The plan is to have a wardrobe in either alcove and a TV with shoe rack in front of the chimney breast.

Stage 1 - Create a base using three separate "frames". These will provide a level base.

View attachment 297746

Stage 2 - Put down 3 (This seems easiest to split into 3 but open to suggestions) mdf boards to provide the base.

View attachment 297747

Stage 3 - Put a front MDF board on to hide the base.

View attachment 297749

Stage 4 - Attach the bottom and side liners. Is the bottom liner required or can i put the track directly onto my base?

View attachment 297748

Stage 5 - I have not created further renders in case i am incorrect so far. I will not be using carcasses as the depth for the wardrobes is quite shallow and i don't want to lose any further room.

I would like to attach either MDF or plasterboard to the sides of the chimney breast to separate the "tv area" from the wardrobes either side.

Thank you in advance for any help.
CharlieDIWhyte (might have that spelt wrong) did a project exactly like this if you search it out on youtube.

Is there any reason that joist along the front cannot be one continuous length?
It could be but then i'd have to build the whole base and slot it into position. Seems slightly more hassle than 3 separate base units which are then screwed together.

CharlieDIWhyte (might have that spelt wrong) did a project exactly like this if you search it out on youtube.
I've watched it already and it formed the basis for this build. However, his was based on hinged doors rather than sliding. Plus i also cannot use carcasses for either side due to space restrictions.

Sponsored Links
It could be but then i'd have to build the whole base and slot it into position. Seems slightly more hassle than 3 separate base units which are then screwed together.

I've watched it already and it formed the basis for this build. However, his was based on hinged doors rather than sliding. Plus i also cannot use carcasses for either side due to space restrictions.
you could build your three bases without a front, and a batten tacked on to keep stuff in line. Then fit the long front to connect the sections, removing the batten. It might not make much difference though? Or just frame out the base in situ as it will be all hidden once the "lid" goes on.

Would not bother with a base, sliding doors accommodate an unlevel floor unless it's way out and the base will be visible unless the doors sit in front which also renders the base pointless.

If that is intended to be floor to ceiling, I would start by measuring the floor to ceiling height at several points, to see what the variation might be. From that, you can then work out how to 'lose' that variation. Keep in mind, that the top and bottom tracks need to be accurately spaced.

Your drawing seems to suggest they will not be very deep wardrobes. Would they not be better, if they were deep enough to accommodate clothes at a right angle to the back wall?

If that is intended to be floor to ceiling, I would start by measuring the floor to ceiling height at several points, to see what the variation might be. From that, you can then work out how to 'lose' that variation. Keep in mind, that the top and bottom tracks need to be accurately spaced.

Your drawing seems to suggest they will not be very deep wardrobes. Would they not be better, if they were deep enough to accommodate clothes at a right angle to the back wall?

That's correct. They're not very deep but unfortunately, they cannot be any deeper otherwise there won't be room for the bed on the other wall. Clothes will just about fit using the current measurements.

you say its tight
make sure you can get the doors to slide clear off any internal drawer you plan to fit

Trombone clothes rails ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back