Fitting a Belfast sink - worktop overlap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When fitting a Belfast sink undermounted - I know you normally allow a 10mm overlap of worktop over the edge of the Belfast bowl at the back and sides, but how do you normally treat the front face? Should that come flush with the front edge of the worktop? or should the sink protrude beyond the front edge of the worktop by half the width of the sink lip? or indeed step back from the front edge of the worktop by half the width of the sink lip? I am getting conflicting advice on this.....

Sponsored Links
I would usually set the front face of the sink in line with the front of the doors which would mean the sink is about 10mm from the worktop edge if its an exposed front like this.

Though I do prefer to have a wide 650plus worktop and set the sink back like this

Jason

As Jason says, The are usually set so the front of the sink is in line with the doors or drawers of the kitchen.

Jason, the second photo looks just like an undermount sink. ;) ;)

Well I suppose it is an undermounted doubel butlers sink and does save water running down onto the doors below, actually it the same model Villeroy & Boch sink in both photos.

J

Sponsored Links
Must ask Jason, I assume you plumb the taps up before installing the sink? I usually plumb the taps with the base unit in place, then lower the base unit, pull it out, install the sink and push the whole unit back in before levelling it up again and final fixing in position. Do you have an alternative way of doing these?. Bit of a PITA installing belfast sinks, though they look great. ;) ;)

Fix them after as the sink AND Granite has to be in place first for the ones in those pics. I make the "shelf" that the sink sits on only as deep as the sink so there is a gap up the back and then have a set of those long tap fixing box spanners which usually reach or can easily be extended.

Jason

Very nice jobs, they look stunning. I don't have the choice of using a 650+ worktop and setting the sink back, so will set the front face in line with the doors. Thanks for your help.

I would usually set the front face of the sink in line with the front of the doors which would mean the sink is about 10mm from the worktop edge if its an exposed front like this.

Though I do prefer to have a wide 650plus worktop and set the sink back like this

Jason
Stunning work! I'd ask you to fit my kitchen but I fear you'll cost more then my humble B&Q jobbie :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back