Fitting a door of unusual dimensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a small 'building' in my garden that requires a door that is a little smaller than the usual dimensions you can buy in stores. So the solution, I think, is just to buy a solid wood door, cut to shape and somehow treat it to be waterproof and weather resistant.

Could someone please advise me as to:
1) Whether this is a good idea?
2) How do I properly treat this wooden door/plank in the best way possible so that it will last through british weather??

THANKS V MUCH! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Just be aware that 'solid' wood can mean it may be constructed from an engineered core or a veneered chipboard core.

True solid wood doors are very expensive.

you could knock up a ledged and braced type door from treated timber like decking planks quite quickly. some stainless screws and hinges would be good. cut top surfaces on a slope to drain and treat all cut ends well with more preservative.
then paint or stain.

Thanks guys,

The ledged and braced door wouldnt really fit the style of the building at all. Going on the idea of using a "normal" looking door, how do I best go about it??

For example, will the above poster's suggestion of using an engineered core be a bad idea for me?? More ideas?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
interior doors are made for that ie they will start to fall apart after a year or two of being exposed to the elements. the glue in your engineered core is unlikely to be exterior grade.
if you can cut down an exterior hardwood door - do that. a lot of people throw them out to get plastic so you should find them at reclamation or on freecycle if you ask. you haven't said what size you need.
if you need to custom make one, use treated timber.
you could do a reasonable impersonation of a panelled door with 4 x 1 treated sections fixed to marine plywood.

The size is a little shorter than a normal sized door and i think its slightly less wide too.

I think treated timber and plywood might be too troublesome... unless you can provide a site that can teach me how to do it as well as providing the source of materials!

But I think a hardwood door and then cutting it might be the way forward. Would a fire-door work? I'm assuming that's a hardwood door?

you would be best off saying the measurements!
fire doors are composite construction for internal use and the ones i've seen the inside of have been chipboard. so not a good choice. also flush faced not panels which i thought was what you wanted? i'm confused.
a solid hardwood external door is this type of thing -

https://www.doordeals.co.uk/eMerchantPro/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=46&idproduct=60

as i have said people throw them out and you will find them in skips, back yards, on freecycle or at reclamation. you will be able to take an inch off the sides and maybe 2 inches off the top and bottom without seriously weakening it.

as for making the fake panelled door simply cut the timber to length and screw through the plywood into it. it will just be stiffening the ply. not a great construction, it will warp quite easily depending on the size and the lock/latches - eg bolt or lock top and bottom, less problems with warp.

haha i dont actually have the measurements on me!

I don't mind what the design is at the end of the day. As long as it lasts and it's effective as a weather-resistant door.
1) Would this do as a simple door: https://www.doordeals.co.uk/eMerchantPro/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=46&idproduct=741 ???

2) If I get the above, what are the exact steps to treat it once I've cut it, etc ?? (any website guide?)

3) Thanks for that site, that looks quite cheap compared to other stores. Is it the most value for money site for this kind of door??

Thanks again!

well they claim it's suitable for external and can be cut to any size. preservative and paint (or stain) will obviously help. don't forget the edges, especially the bottom. this is where the rot will start.

i picked the site at random as it had pictures, but they do seem quite cheap. check the shipping though. i would have thought that it would be cheaper to go local once the shipping is added on, but only one way to find out.

In terms of treating, what is best to use and what treatment do I apply first? There're so many types of wood sealants/stains/primers/treatments!! I'm completely new to all this.

And I'm assuming, since its an outdoor setting, that it needs 2-3 coats of whatever I use?

If you say I should check local suppliers... does that mean travis perkin, or smaller more private firms?

Thanks

builder's yard or timber merchant is a good start. i am lucky enough to have several good independents near me and rarely need to deal with the chains who are often dear and patronising.

Thanks, I'll use the website as a back-up then.

But I was searching for the best technique to seal/treat this door - but I can't come up with a comprehensive guide. Can anyone help me - just briefly - what tins to buy, which should be put on first and how many layers??

:oops:

solvent based preservative
primer (or i use diluted emulsion)
light sand
gloss
light sand
gloss

or

solvent based preservative
stain
light sand
stain
light sand
stain

We'll probably go for the gloss option then.

When you sand in the middle, doesn't that mean that you sand the first gloss layer off though??

Also, regarding the bottoms/tops of doors - you said to double-treat or something. Should I gloss these parts a third time or something then??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back