Outside door - sticking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I bought a flat in London and the outside wooden door (probably hardwood) to garden seems to be sticking (from the bottom). I have identified so far the the weather frame is not working that well (looks pretty wet as does door!) and the door probably has not been treated for some time.

I guess I would need to dry the door and then shave/treat as necessary (I have checked hinges).

How can I dry out the door with the wet weather? Do I have to wait till summer before I can start working on it?

I am happy to attach pictures for more info if there is someone around to help.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You can't really mess with nature, but there's nothing to stop you planing the minimum off your door now......if it fits when wet then it will shrink again when it dries out - but hopefully not too much!
Naturally if the problem is at the bottom, then remove the door and treat the raw areas that you plane.
Consider full treatment in the Spring.
John :)

rather then planning it down a tad,see if you can let the hinges in a bit more to get the door to work ok,then when it dries out you can pack the hinges out again with some card or ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back