Fitting a four gang dimmer swith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the four gang dimmers in my renovated home can't go in the original location because of the kitchen layout. One option is to move it around the corner onto a 100mm wide drywall pillar. Is that enough space for to install it length ways? Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Most switch accessories are around 85mm overall width. Some of the fancy ones may be a bit wider. But it wont be as wide as 100mm.
You'll need to find a way of mounting a back box in your pillar. A back box is around 75mm wide.
You may be able to put a dryline back box in there
MTBDLB2.JPG

Bear in mind there may be studwork that you may need to carve up - and that may need additional support.

Is it less than 100mm wide?
It's 100mm exactly
Seems rather wide to me.

But anyway - it is your switch and your wall, and you are there with both of them and a pair of eyes. Why can't you tell if a 100mm wide switch will fit onto a pillar that is also 100mm wide?
The wall is not built yet. I'm trying to work out the minimum space for the dimmer so the builder takes that into account.

As BAS suggested, get your dimmer and see if will fit. I've given you the overall width, and the length (height as it wil be vertically fitted) will not be a problem.

Just tell your builders to put a double deep box in the stud, it's not difficult.

I'm forced to install it vertical. It's not my preference but needs must

You'll have to. A 4gang dimmer is the same size as a double socket. The long side is around 145mm.

You could make your pillar bigger, or course. Or have two x 2-gang dimmers one above the other.

Call me Mr Thickee, but can't you fit two single boxes, one on top of the other, and use two 2-gang switches?

(...wait for it...)

EDIT. I see Taylor has already suggested it.

(Surely the op has a ruler to work out if the switch will fit where he wants it...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back