Fitting a garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is in the right place.

I have been looking at garage doors on the web, and locally. There is a huge price difference between fitted and unfitted. around £500 :eek:

So i was wondering if anyone has fitted a section garage door, and perhaps wish they hadn't by the end of it.

or perhaps it was more like meccano, and not that tricky.

I was thinking of a sectional hormann.

The only reason i ask is, i can't imagine it would take me 5 days to fit a door.. and looking at some videos, it looks like there is only 1 bit where a couple of pairs of hands are required..

cheers for the advice

A

Sponsored Links
Ask the company that makes the garage doors you want if they supply fitting instructions.
If they do then get them, read through them, and decide then if you are up to it. Read through them a couple of times before you make your mind up as very rarely will you fully grasp something from reading it once.

On the other hand £500 may sound like a lot, to have it fitted, but you will have the comfort of knowing it has been fitted correctly and safely and will have some sort of guarantee.

I have only fitted basic garage doors myself (and only three) and these were straight forward.

Well just to update the garage door fitting.

It was fairly easy, you just need a bit of patience, spirit levels and a spare pair of hands.

The instructions on the Hormann doors were very clear.

The only thing i would say is you need to be prepared to extend brackets if you have an akward installation like me. Not a problem using steel roof straps.

A

Sponsored Links
Sadly it is all I get paid, so it would take me more than 5 days to earn 500 to pay someone that. For me it is always a toss up, pay someone or do it myself.

A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back