Fitting A Gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removing a very good outset fire with glass front and looking to replace it with an inset fire for a Class 2/Pre cast flue. Either getting rip off prices for the fire and cheap install or the other way around. One guy even wanted to charge mean installation fee, £100 which seemed to be the average amount, and if the fire didn't work cos the flue was faulty he kept the £100. He was an idiot and didn't seem to grasp the simple issue of a survey that all the others porposed.

This looks to me like yet another rip off for the "you can't do this yourself" syndrome that plagues British tradesmen. I generalise of course and don'y mean to be unfair to the majority of other trades. I can buy the same fires cheaper and just need someone I can trust to do the install and test for fumes in a professional manner. Do I trust Yellow pages of does anyone know someone in the Basingstoke area?

Sponsored Links
If you are on a precast flue the initial checks (visual and smoke bomb flue flow test) may well pass with no problem. When the fire is installed and the final commission takes place, which is the spillage test, it may well fail (spiders webs normally) under the full load of a gas fire and an extra charge would be incurred to repair or replace the flue. This guy sounds like he has been the most upfront with you and given you all the information in advance.

£120.. to fit gas fire, survey, get bits do job 3 hours maybe £135.00, does it need an air vent, stick on another £75.00, has it got an illegal terminal add on anothe £95.00, is the ridge terminal loose with rusted off bolts,add on another £225.00

Sponsored Links
Cheers chaps.

To be fair the guy did mention all the potential issues which is appreciated. If he had said "if fire fails spillage test we'll charge you £50" I wouldn't have minded but a £100!

Its a shame that a survey doen't show this but they should still take some ownership for a failed install. None of the others mentioned this but I did ask one outlet and he said there would be no charge if it all failed, hence the confusion.

OK food for thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back