Fitting a heavy awning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and happy new year.
I bought an awning to go over the extension double doors but i didn't expect a such heavy product (30 kg).
Above the doors there are 5 lines of bricks and a flat roof constructed with 8x2 and strapped on the inside (9 years ago).
To allow headroom I should fit the two brackets at 20 cm above the door frame.
Each bracket have two anchors to be fitted on the third and fourth line of bricks.
My question is: Would the weight of the awning pull the bricks up?
In my mind I'm thinking that each anchor will hold 7.5 kg , but because they will be close to the last line of bricks I'm a bit concerned.
What do you think?
Picture attached.

Attachments

• WP_20160101_001.jpg
    WP_20160101_001.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
Doomed to failure.

It's not just the 30kg weight of the awning. When extended and a slight breeze occurs, the load on the fixings will be significantly more.

We saw a case of one of those awning-type carports that pulled the side of the house down when it had the extra weight of snow on it.

Remember the awning has tremendous leverage when it is extended.

I had a similar problem with an awning which was originally on the gable end of my bungalow. Following and extension build with a hip roof I was left with one course of blocks on a catnic lintel. I solved the problem with 2 off 8"x2" oak beams 8ft high bolted to the wall with 4 pairs of 12mm chemical fixings, vertically one each side of the patio door, bolts for the awning brackets were fitted through the oak from the back before fixing. The 8" width of the beam is wide enough to fit the brackets either side of suspension points of the awning. ( I will see if i still have a photo of the finished job)

Sponsored Links
Ok guys, thanks.
I will either desist and do without the awning or fit wooden posts that will further support the awning from the ground.
I'll have to see what the boss says (that's the wife )
You have probably saved me some very expensive structural repairs later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back