Fitting a new kitchen light with low profile mounting base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed an old light fitting with 4 GU10 downlights from the kitchen which had a large base:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wuq8qou8mbhp36/Photo 09-12-2012 15 36 08.jpg

The connections in the ceiling have a lot of connectors:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5teiglju36itmic/Photo 09-12-2012 15 35 46.jpg

It doesn't look as if the new light fitting will be able to fit all these bit in as it has a much smaller mounting area.

Does anyone know where I can get some kind of mounting box that will attach to the ceiling and then in turn I can attach the light to that?

I've been looking at b&q and screwfix but can't seem to find anything. :(

Sponsored Links
Screwfix sell them too. You could fit a single socket dry lining box if the fitting will cover it and even B&Q sell those.

Sponsored Links
You'll need to examine the ceiling before "cutting a hole".

Most surface-mounted lights sit on a joist or a noggin to give the ceiling strength to support the light (eg the fluorescent tube that was there in the first place).

That may mean that cutting a hole is not practical.

Don't mix up the black neutrals and (what looks like) the black switched live! Any errors on reconnection could have unexpected results!

yeah I had a quick look last night and it didn't look like it would be that easy to cut a hole out.

I might just try pick out some plaster board stuff all the connectors up into the hole and then fix the base plate which should give me enough room.

stuff all the connectors up into the hole.
Not without putting them in an enclosure first.

What is under all that tape anyway - are there actually "connectors"?

And remember they must remain accessible for inspection unless you use an approved maintenance free junction box.

yeap they are just connectors wrapped in tape.

Do they need to go in a junction box by regulation?

Yes, to comply with the Wiring Regulations.

Which is not strictly a legal requirement, but compliance with Part P of the Building Regulations is, and in practice there's no workable way to do that except by complying with the Wiring Regulations.

Same issue with accessibility - if you use screwed connectors the Wiring Regulations say they must be accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back