Lighting problem, ceiling spot lights

True, perhaps it's better to say the OP needs to satisfy themselves that a fire rated downlight is not required by the Building Regs Part B before choosing to buy a non-fire rated one.

Sponsored Links
I had a set of 22 old MR16 12V halogen lamps in a kitchen/dining room
22 :eek:

Was it a room the size of an aircraft hangar?

Or a room you were trying to light with lights not actually very good at the job of lighting up rooms?

22 :eek:

Was it a room the size of an aircraft hangar?

Or a room you were trying to light with lights not actually very good at the job of lighting up rooms?

The original MR16 12V halogens were already there. It's a fair sized room but I think whoever put them in went over the top. It works well with 4W - 5W GU10 LEDs though as they are not quite as bright as the 50W halogens, so it worked out quite well.

The original MR16 12V halogens were already there. It's a fair sized room but I think whoever put them in went over the top. It works well with 4W - 5W GU10 LEDs though as they are not quite as bright as the 50W halogens, so it worked out quite well.
For once, I think I have to sympathise with BAS's view about this. 1,100W of halogens for one room (unless really enormous) sounds way OTT, as does 88-110W of LEDs!

I inherited a (pretty large) kitchen/breakfast room that had 15 x 25W incandescent candle bulbs (in 5 treble fittings) - and that 375W for a single room seemed pretty excessive (and very 'well lit'!), but that's not much more than a third of the halogens you had!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a lot of candle bulbs, at least they weren't 60W each! I agree, it's too many down lights. They are connected in 3 circuits, so I think the idea was to be able to light different areas.

That sounds like a lot of candle bulbs, at least they weren't 60W each!
Indeed, on both counts. To be honest, I'm not certain (a very long time ago) that they actually were 25W when I acquired them, but that (the smallest I could get!) was certainly what I put in thereafter. It is quite a big room (I think around 8m x 4m or thereabouts), but 375W was still a lot. However ...
They are connected in 3 circuits, so I think the idea was to be able to light different areas.
Similar here - with kitchen and breakfast room on different switches - so the choice of one, the other or both parts.

I have to confess that we have retained those fittings (they quite suit the 'style' of the room), and we're now down to 15 x 3W LEDs - still a lot, but only a fraction of what I started with.

Kind Regards, John

some posts have been removed
==============================================
As far as suppliers are concerned, and therefore as far as DIY users are concerned. "Electronic Transformers" is in common use and easily understood, whether you like it or not.

We've had enough nonsense over this. Therefore the use of the term will be allowed in this forum, and those declaring its use as incorrect, outside of this thread, will be deemed Unhelpful. Further such posts by you may be deleted without comment.
Mod
===============================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Builder2011, rather than replacing the transformers it would be better to remove them entirely.

Get some LED down lighters.The mains voltage cable that goes into the transformer instead goes straight into the light.

This will save you energy and mean less replacement in future. It also prevents problems from some transformers not being compatible with LED bulbs.

Here's an example:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-fixe...or-pack-white-370lm-5w-220-240v-10-pack/728fj

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back