shower light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I have a 240V light above my shower which takes the standard GU10 type halogen bulb. Fitted by an electrician when I had my bathroom done.

Problem I have is that it's held in place by strong metal springs which clamp it to the plasterboard ceiling - everytime I need to change the bulb it's a bugger to remove the unit and some of the paint/plaster around the hole made to accept the light chips off. There is no way to replace the bulb without removing the whole light unit.

Am I missing something obvious or is this just inherent in this type of fitting? I wondered if there's a better type of unit to replace it with whereby the bulb is easy to change without removing the unit and bits of my ceiling! If there is such a thing am I allowed to fit it myself - it would appear simple to wire looking at the existing one but am aware it's electrics directly above a bath!

Sponsored Links
Similar, but doesn't have the box enclosure at the back. Seems the front does separate but I can only do this with the whole unit removed. If I try and remove the front with the unit in situ the remainer of the unit "pings" up into the void. I wonder if the cut out was too big when fitted? It measures about 80mm.

Sponsored Links
Yes - just worked out tonight (after having it for about 5 years!) that the front prises away. Trouble is if I prize the front away whilst it's in place the metal springs push the back half of the light up away into the void. Like I say, I wonder if the hole could be too big for the unit??

OK - have decided I should try a new fitting. There seems to be plenty of lights available for 76 mm cutouts. Measuring mine seems to be 78mm - I presume a couple of mm won't matter?

So next thing is am I "allowed" to replace the unit and if so, should I replace with a 240V light as I currently have or a low voltage one (there seems to be many more of these). I know it needs to be IP65 rated. Reading around it seems if 240V light the circuit should be protected by an RCD and I'm not sure mine is (I just have standard MCBs on the consumer unit...)

All help appreciated.

Bath/Shower room special locations, 2mm is fine, go like for like with light fitting, starts getting complicated if not, regarding building regulations.
Your shower light should be RCD protected have a look on CU for isolater switch with a test/reset button.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. Should replace like with like, however don't seem to have an isolator switch on the CU. Is this a new reg - had showerlight fitted when bathroom done 5 yrs or so ago? The shower is not electric, if that's an issue.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. Should replace like with like, however don't seem to have an isolator switch on the CU. Is this a new reg - had showerlight fitted when bathroom done 5 yrs or so ago?
requirements changed in 2008 all new Consumer Units will have RCD protection on now.
It would be worth considering for safety reason fitting an RCBO on the shower light circuit.
RCD look like this

Thanks again. Does fitting an RCBO mean replacing the current mcb? Is it a simple job or is it time to get an electrician?? I assume the mcb pulls off and the RCBO pushes into it's place, but if it's more than that I'll get help...

Again gets complicated regarding building regs and fees if DIY.
They will swap for MCBs, it's something to consider (recommend part p sparky though). But now I recall your lights on extra low voltage transformer so not such a big issue for this particular fitting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back