Installing replacement conservatory ceiling fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My conservatory has had a fan fitted by previous owners of the house, which I rarely use. I turned it on the other day for probably the first time in about 4 years and noticed it was unstable, so today I've removed it all from the ceiling for safety and to check it out.

It was installed with a plastic "inverted bowl" shaped rose which attached to a large threaded fastening in the conservatory ceiling, and then screwed to the bottom of the rose with a metal bracket. Over time the rose has been damaged, and has been repaired with fibreglass by the previous owners before finally giving up.

Problem being I can't find anywhere to buy a replacement rose, and I can't work out what type of fan I'll be able to fit given that it's an existing conservatory so I only have the fittings available to work with.

An image of the conservatory is here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/20xyxg12pd9vsnj/2014-04-14 17.29.53.jpg
An image of the original rose is here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/eeua4h8vd4jatqk/2014-04-14 17.37.28.jpg

The large threaded rod from the conservatory went through the centre hole in the rose in order to hold the rose to the ceiling, and then the metal mounting for the fan screwed into the bottom of the rose. Which doesn't seem all that safe to me now I've seen how it fits together. So what's my best option for getting a replacement given that I only have that one threaded rod to work with and I'll need something that gives a bit of a drop so that the blades clear the roof?

Sponsored Links
That looks just like ours . . Came from Wickes about 8 years ago.

Try a conservatory place and they may have a replacement bowl.

When I fitted ours I didn't like the idea of fixing the fan to the bowl..... bought a longer threaded bar from B&Q and made a bracket for the fan that threads onto the bar and is held on by M12 nuts, including locknut. The fan base hides it.

Most fan makers sell longer drop rods (ours came with a 6" and is now on a 18").

I had thought about extending the rod; however as I understand it by looking, that'd mean undoing the 6 smaller bolts and then having to remove the ridge of the conservatory to remove the existing rod and drop a new one in? I don't have the right gear to get up there safely and wouldn't really want to be anywhere near the roof just in case (I'm not a small lad and I have no idea of the construction quality of it!)

I bought a replacement from B&Q yesterday that looked like it might fit but no luck, so that's going back today and I'm back to square one...if the bowls are designed to have the fan fitted to it then I'm fine with that and may just look into a replacement bowl. I just wasn't sure, based on some of the bodgery I've discovered since moving in, whether it was actually designed for that at all and whether that might explain the damage (if it wasn't designed for taking the weight for example and the plastic has become brittle due to sunlight and cracked). Hard to tell after the repair whether the screw holes were there as part of the bowl or had just been made afterwards by screwing the metal bracket on :) Appreciate the advice though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back