Swap ceiling rose for spotlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I am due to move into a new house which has 2 standard ceiling rose pendants in the hallway (which I hate) and am considering swapping them for spotlights.

Is it as simple as swapping other light fittings or does it have different requirements?

This is the current hallway with fittings.
Stairs hallway.jpg

And I would prefer lights like this:
fixed-twist-lock-gu10-ceiling-spotlight-downlight-polished-chrome-finish-ukew-r-standard-non-fire-rated-downlight-twist-lock-chrome-372-700x700.JPG

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
The pendant, unattractive as it may be, does shed light onto the stairs. Would you be happy or safe using the stairs if the stairs were not well lit ?

I hadn't really considered the actual light output but more the visual aspect, so thanks for that advice!

We're just seriously struggling to choose some lights for the hallway and spotlights seemed like the simplest option.

I hadn't really considered the actual light output but more the visual aspect, so thanks for that advice!
That is the main consideration for lighting.

We're just seriously struggling to choose some lights for the hallway and spotlights seemed like the simplest option.
Have you used the right words?

The simplest option would obviuosly be to leave it as it is.

Spotlights are no where near the simplest option - more like the least simple one.

Sponsored Links
need to cut a big hole in the ceiling.
you don't know what you will hit above. (probably a beam)
don't output very good light.

As above. The pendants will be screwed to either a joist, or a noggin. Do you won’t be able to put a downlight in the same exact position.
Maybe a couple of inches away, but then you’ll need to find a way to extend the 9 or more wires that terminate in the pendant.
If you must find something else, I suggest you look at flush lights that are surface mounted, rather than recessed ones.

Arron,
Deciding on best lights to fit is hard in new houses.

1) I am on teh fence for Downlights, sometimes I like them, sometimes I hate them.
BUT do not fit them in your hall. They are difficult to fit (think holes and complex in ceiling wiring), and do not illuminate things like halls or stairs effectively/safely.

Go to places like House of Frasier and Homebase where you can see what you like the look off.
Do google search of local to you lighting companies with good show rooms.
If too expensive, make a note of name and buy second hand of customer returns from ebay.
Do not buy Chinese imported junk lights.

SFK

In a room larger than a toilet, it's rare to replace one pendant for one downlighter - usually you need several downlighters to do any good.

Again, get some proper light fittings, and save yourself some problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back