Fitting a new light to old wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need some help please. We took down the old light from ceiling in living room and wanted to fit new light. The wires are 2 black, 2 yellow/green and 2 red wires. When following the diagram the 2 black goes together and the 2 yellow/green goes togther but then its the red wires that got me. They both the same so I don't know with one is the switch live? I swap them around and one the light turns on but light is turn off at wall. Then when I swap red wires again nothing works so I am confuse in what am I doing wrong please.
The house is very old so wires is not marked. Can anybody help me please.
Thanks Kizzy

Sponsored Links
If the wiring is following the norm for ceiling roses then the two blacks will not go together one will be return form switch and be line rather than neutral.

Loads of diagrams on here in Winky

So do I put the 2 red wires together and one black in swithed live, is that what you saying?

yes put two reds together. one black to live, one black to neutral. however, before that you must determine which black is the live. the live black will go back to the switch. the live black should be marked with a red sleeve or a piece of red tape.

this is all assuming your wiring is traditional 3 plate loop in wiring.

Sponsored Links
Got it sorted thank you. You need to keep 1 black and 2 yellow/green and 1 red and then 1red and 1 black together. So the black and red are switched live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back