Fitting a new Newel Post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My stairs currently do not have any spindles or hand rail etc..

The previous owners of the house removed what was there and cut off the bottom Newel post so that it is a the same height and angle to the slope of the stairs.

Is it possible that I could remove the stump that is there already and fit a new post and then I could fit new spindles and a handrail?

I quite like the traditional wooden spindles but also the Axxys Chrome system.

How easy would it be to do this?

Could anyone point me in the right of a cheap cost effective solution to this.

I will upload some pictures as soon as im home so you can see what im really on about.

Many Thanks,

Adam

Sponsored Links
the course off action depends fully on the construction
for example does it support the string ??
will wait for the pictures :D

the long big bit off wood down each side that supports the stairs and supports everything

Sponsored Links
it fully supports the stairs so the easiest way is to square off the newel
the actual point may require you to slice in a wedge or remove a small part from the top but no more than till the top is just level then a large dowel as supplied with the newel system

Im guessing that the string on those stairs is supported by the newel post?

Could stairs be supported by the string sitting on the floor also?

I have a similar project like this coming up too.

Thanks

Rob

Im guessing that the string on those stairs is supported by the newel post?

Could stairs be supported by the string sitting on the floor also?

I have a similar project like this coming up too.

Thanks

Rob

no because the second step is cut into the newel post
it can be done but not easy for an amateur
in other words if you need to ask the question you will probably find it to difficult

Just done the same but my stais sit on the string at the bottom.

I had to change two Newel bases at the top which didd support the stairs so the staris came out for a day.

This should be possible without taking the stairs out by supporting the string off the floor while you cut the newel out (Ours came out in lots of pieces to avoud damaging the string.

Would be wise to strip out underheath the stairs so you can see what is there before starting.

Remember than Newel bases are glued and dowelled for stiffness and you rely on there being enough of the tenon to be able to get a dowel fixing - there was plenty on ours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back