Fitting a new socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Im fitting a dishwasher and need to install a socket under the work top for it. When i removed a cupboard to make space for the washer ive found a roll of cable which i think the previous owner ( who was an electrcian) has wired up as a spur. The cable is taped up but is live when i tested it.When i switch off the fuse for the kitchen sockets it goes dead so i presume it is a spur.What i need to know is can i fix a socket myself or do i need to get an electrcian in? Im a competent DIYer who has a small knowledge of electrics, (i know the dangers of electrics and how circits work)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
trace it back and see where it comes from.

I've traced back as far as i could and it seems to come from a socket. going by the thickness of the cable i asume it is a spur. And what fee to the council?

Sponsored Links
"re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected"

is NOT notifiable.

So if there was a socket outlet there to begin with ;), which got damaged, you could replace it with a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back