fitting a new toilet, cast iron soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
I'm hoping to fit a new toilet into a cupboard downstairs in my house, almost directly below my existing bathroom. I've spoken with my local council and have confirmation I don't need a building warrant or planning permission (I'm in Scotland) so I have started trying to workk out if it's something I can do myself or if I need to get a professional in.

I've done a little plumbing before, but I've never tried to fit a brand new toilet before, nor connect anything directly to cast iron soil pipe.

In the photo, immediately behind the right wall, under the electricity meter etc is where I'd like to fit the new toilet, but I'm not sure how I can attach a soil pipe to the existing stack, or how I can route it without obscuring the gas meter etc. Am I realistically lookign at spending a fortune to get the gas meter moved (again, as I've previously paid 1900 quid to have it moved due to vandalism when it was outside)

Attachments

• IMG_20170626_142219.jpg
    IMG_20170626_142219.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 237
Sponsored Links
you are going to have one helluva job trying to connect 4 inch waste pipe into that section of cast iron ,if that is what you are intending to do.

you are going to have one helluva job trying to connect 4 inch waste pipe into that section of cast iron ,if that is what you are intending to do.
Do you have a suggestion of a better way to do it?

Should I replace the cast iron entirely, or at least the section that's visible - directly above is the bathroom, which is getting replaced later in the year, so the upper section could get replaced then?

is the entire vertical section inside the premises ,I assumed it is ? it is not wise to put in a section of plastic low down ,as it will not support the weight of the cast iron above it ,its very heavy. best bet is to replace the lot in plastic. you could consider a saniflo ,the waste pipe from these is less than 2 inch diameter , and can be routed vertically and horizontally .

Sponsored Links
is the entire vertical section inside the premises ,I assumed it is ? it is not wise to put in a section of plastic low down ,as it will not support the weight of the cast iron above it ,its very heavy. best bet is to replace the lot in plastic. you could consider a saniflo ,the waste pipe from these is less than 2 inch diameter , and can be routed vertically and horizontally .

yeah, it's all inside, vents out of the roof above the bathroom. Given we're redoing the bathroom later in the year, would it be best to replace the stack with plastic then, all the way up, and fit the downstairs loo after that's been done? Or would fitting the loo now, and using a saniflo be a decent option? I bought a "house that jack built" and am slowly removing all the bodges, making it better as i go. For instance, the banister / balistrade on the top landing was attached at one end with two nails, into plasterboard. and in the middle, tacked to the floor with panel pins, less than 1/4" of the pin stuck out into the floor. I'm glad it was ugly and needed replaced!

I would hold off the loo downstairs until you replace the soil pipework.saniflos are not cheap , last one I fitted was 400 quid last year, and you may not need it going forward. they do not last forever and have several drawbacks ,need an electric supply ,and if you have young kids that drop things into the loo that they shouldnt ,and flush the loo, that would pretty much be the end of the saniflo !!

You could use a timesaver branch (cast iron) although invert to proposed branch connection is unknown , a rodding access should also be allowed for.
The original cast should bear it own weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back